Trumpet Discussion Discuss Rant about my peers in the General forums; So do people not realize that if they want a job when they graduate they will have to know about ...

Rant about my peers

So do people not realize that if they want a job when they graduate they will have to know about jazz as well as classical? People at my school REFUSE to play or learn anything at all about jazz. My righthand man (Scott, amazing solo chops) and I (I'm the lead) try to talk to people and get them interested, especially the younger folxs just to keep the program going. And trust me, in a few years it's going to be great, our new jazz director is Brad Leali (Count Basie lead alto for several yrs, Harry Connick band, etc). Anyways, we keep gettin' "excuses" like "It'll ruin my chops" or "I don't know how to play jazz" or "I can't swing" and yadda, yadda...
    Anyone else have a similiar expeirence? How do you talk to these people? Do they not realize that outside of the symphony/orchestra hall, most (argueably) most is mainstreamed or commericial? You have to be able to to solo, you have to be able to swing, etc.... grrrr.... In the morning, you might have to go play a jingle, then afternoon rehearsal for a symphony and then a bigband gig that nite ya know? lol, eh, oh well, more gigs for me right? Sorry for ranting.

Piano User
    Richland, MO
    As far as I have been able to tell the guys who say "I can't play Jazz" Usually are really saying "I'm scared to play Jazz because I will sound bad"
    When I was learning, it took me a long while to get over that fear. Once I was to a level I felt comfortable enough to go play in public with, I started to see the same things your seeing with everyone else.
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

Pianissimo User
    Do you think they can handle the material? If you think so, and they probably can then I doubt that they are making excuses because they don't think they can handle it or learn it. If they make excuses but they have enough talent and ability then they probably really don't want to play jazz. And do you really want people who don't really want to be there and are going to whine, complain etc..? Or do you want less people, but those people will be dedicated and actually want to play?

Check Out my Forum

Yamaha Xeno RGS
    Yamaha 2320
    Parduba Double-Cup #6

Lebanon, TN
    The first time I ever played jazz was last year, when I started a CU.

Jazz teaches you to read unlike anything I've ever tried.

And about it ruining your sound? FEH. When you want to get "the" trumpet sound, you have to hear the LA commercial guys of the 60s. WALL OF SOUND. They didnt need no ****ed microphones.

Tutti's trumpets is a GREAT album to have when someone argues the use of jazz when they focus on concert trumpet.

Thread Information