View Poll Results: Placement?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silver, inside of bottom of bell.

1 16.67%
  • Gold, inside of bottom of bell.

1 16.67%
  • Silver, near the model-name placement.

0 0%
  • Gold, near the model-name placement.

4 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Re-lacquer? in the General forums; Hey guys, I've had the same horn for a few years now, and I don't believe that I'm going to ...
    Pianissimo User

Re-lacquer?

Hey guys, I've had the same horn for a few years now, and I don't believe that I'm going to change. So, I've decided that after marching season ends this year, I'm going to get it professionally UV-cleaned, and dent removed. But then, once I've done that, I'm gonna want to have a little fun with it. A friend of mine has his Tenor Sax lacquered with a color / brand / type of lacquer called "Black Ice" and it looks extremely cool. I'm not much of a fan of normalcy, and think getting my instrument coated in the God-of-a-color would be wicked cool. Please, do not tell me it'd look tacky, or anything about your personal preference of color, I do not care one bit. If you wish to do so, send me a PM instead of spamming up my thread. :):)

So, my first question to you is: How much do you think getting such a lacquer on a Getzen silver-finish trumpet could potentially cost me? Do any of you own a trumpet that they've re-lacquered? I would like an estimate, or at least your best guess to how much it would cost to get it professionally done. Also, if you know of any one store in particular that is a chain that does this service, I would love to hear about it. I'm really pushing for it to be professionally done, since I wouldn't trust myself one bit to do it right, or make it look gorgeous.

Secondly, if / when I do this, I'm going to want to put some engraving on it. I feel that this is a necessary thing to make the horn my own, an original one-of-a-kind item, and not only would it bring it an individualistic touch, it would also put in a feeling of finality for me. So, I've already basically decided on an "epic quote" and placed my finger on a version of Daft Punk's single: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. However I've adapted the phrase to make it sound more classy - I think so at least - by translating it into Latin! (The idea came from the Olympic's motto which is also a string of adjectives in Latin) So unless you can find a better adage than this, I'm keeping it. ("Congelo, Melior, Ocius, Validus" is the phrase, of course it'd be in italics, and in a fancy handwritten manner; [ie: cursive or the like])

Finally, since my trumpet will be a glossy / smoky black, the adage will either be in Silver or Gold. Not only will I need to pick between the two (I would like your opinion on this) but I'd also need to find the placement for where to put it. I was thinking of one of two places: The inside bottom of the bell -or- the classic model placement on the beginning of the outside of the bell towards the center of the trumpet.

What is your opinion on all these matters?

Thanks,
    - Nick
    Last edited by Pseudonym; 07-01-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Re: Re-lacquer?

Wow Nick,

Black gloss and Gold sounds very classy - I like the way you think.

(Just a thought - since you have chosen Latin for your inscription - is there a recognised set of colours that may have been used by the Romans?)
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend

Getting the silver off is your biggest hurdle. I think your gonna have a problem there. It's not that easy to remove silver like it is lacquer.
    Lawler C7S
    Wild Thing
    Conn 48B
    Vintage Conn Director
    Yamaha 631 Flugel

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by St.Louis Blues View Post
    Getting the silver off is your biggest hurdle. I think your gonna have a problem there. It's not that easy to remove silver like it is lacquer.
    That was the first thing I thought of as well.

Anyway, Nick, your horn finish concept sounds really cool, imo. Just might have to trade in that axe for one that'll be more accepting of the project.

Pianissimo User

tedh1951, I don't care if there's a recognized set of colors. Silver and Gold are the two colors that are most prominent in engraving, and the only two I'd ever consider. They're equally as good in my opinion, Gold having more weight since it might show up better in the black than Silver. Not really sure though.

I'm positive I have the second option on my trumpet: Getzen : Finish Options

I also have one of these two Getzen's: http://www.getzen.com/trumpet/700/ Not really sure which one, don't really care too much either haha.
    Last edited by Pseudonym; 07-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by St.Louis Blues View Post
    Any decent shop can do this. It just requires a little more buffing than usual.
    Not a big deal at all.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gzent View Post
    Any decent shop can do this. It just requires a little more buffing than usual.
    Not a big deal at all.
    Yeah but what does "a little more buffing do" ? Anyone? Bueller?

Yes there are shops that can do it but I would still be cautious.
    " St Louis Blues"

Olds Super
    Yamaha 631 Flugel
    Conn 40B

Quote Originally Posted by Kevykev View Post
    Yeah but what does "a little more buffing do" ? Anyone? Bueller?

Yes there are shops that can do it but I would still be cautious.
    OK, be sure to use a shop that does a lot of restorations to be safe.

Oberlah, Melk, Kanstul, etc....
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Forte User

If looks are you primary concern it might be cheaper for you to get a black lacquer trumpet and just have it engraved. There are some imports that can be aquired fairly cheaply:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cecilio-Lacquer-Trumpet-Carrying-Accessories/dp/B000EPRBE4]Amazon.com: Cecilio Black Lacquer B Flat Trumpet with Hard Shell Carrying Case: Electronics[/ame]

Pianissimo User

The point is to keep my set. I don't want to have to get used to a new horn. I would prefer to keep my own horn. I'm sorry about not making that clear, and let's not bring it up again. :)

I'm keeping my horn, I just want to get it lacquered black, and engraved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information