Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss re. rowak in the General forums; Because I'm a smart guy....

Re: re. rowak

Because I'm a smart guy.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Quote Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
    just as him when it comes to the horn a tid bit. I have been on this site for awhile and sometimes I ask some questions for some input. alot of times and also reading oyher threads there is always alittle negative input when rowak answers a thread. We all aren't as smartas him but he should not be as sarcastic when responding to a thread! If u dont have something nice to say then dont reply!
    Great advice. However, I think I'll reserve the right to respond in a vigorous fashion when someone tries to pour a big glass of stupid down my throat and tell me its coca cola.
    As for rowuk. Yep he's knowlegable. In fact, many on this forum are quite knowledgeable about trumpet and music in general.
    Some of these individuals come from the finest Universities and Conservatories on the planet while others have grown musically in the venues of NYC and have conquered (or at least come to terms with) the Big Apple.
    I know it makes people mad, but I have to agree "alot" when rowuk whips out this simple statement:
    "This isn't a hardware problem, its a software problem"
    Have I ever disagreed with rowuk? Oh my yes!
    Do I respect what he says? Yes
    Because I take the time to verify his recommendations and claims. By using this process of verification, I can say that rowuk is a good source for trumpet info.
    Of course it's October and that means Octoberfest. Rowuk just happens to live in Germany so maybe one month out of the year his judgement might be cloudy. Other than that, he's usually spot on.
    Hey rowuk, Drink a barleywine for me!
    Last edited by Markie; 10-24-2010 at 01:45 PM.

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by B15M View Post
    How do you know Robin has a wealth of knowledge? Has anyone on here heard him play?

I enjoy reading his posts but, how do we really know?
    nobody knows if the Kingtrumpet can play either --- but you will find that my posts seem to find agreement with a majority of comebackers and their experiences.
    that being said -- I hope to have something on youtube after a Jan. 29th gig -- if it goes well, and if it doesn't --- you will still have to wonder --who can or who can't play on this "anonymous" forum.

and you should lighten up on the guy from Florida -- not everyone speaks fluent englais in this country, maybe the dude is from Gernamy like,lol,lol
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 10-23-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: forgot my lol

Quote Originally Posted by b15m View Post
    how do you know robin has a wealth of knowledge? Has anyone on here heard him play?

I enjoy reading his posts but, how do we really know?
    he has pictures!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
    ... If u dont have something nice to say then dont reply!
    Well then, I guess I'm speechless

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

It's a known factor in production that it is not usually the tool as is faulty ... but users are often losers. There's LEO modification of this statement in my experience.

As to my music, especially brass ability (excluding absence of present capability) there are just one or two on brass forums as have heard me play all my horns. They have one or two of the CDs I burned on my computer. I may not be a great player or made lots of money doing so, but I've enjoyed it.

Duh, who here enjoys such as much?
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 10-24-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Piano User

There is absolutely nothing wrong with rowuk's posts.

He is knowledgeable, and I tend to agree with just about everything he has ever written that I have read. Sometimes, the answers were just exactly what was needed or deserved at the time. Some people need to grow up...maybe some of those kinds of answers are really doing a "public service", so to speak.

No one guarantees that you will be happy with replies you may get on an Internet forum; rowuk's, or mine, or anyone else's.

There is a great deal of ignorance, immaturity, and an obvious lack of experience and wisdom that is posted on the Internet from time to time. Then, there is also the big, and sometimes harsh world of reality, so I recommend to "thicken up the skin" and deal with it as it comes..

Pianissimo User

In defense of Rowuk.

This may be getting a bit personal. I have discovered that in my own life I am a terrific liar. I can convince myself of anything. Things that other people know are wrong, I can find a way to make them seem right in my own mind, if I am the one doing the wrong thing. Consequently, I have enough the good sense to surround myself with a couple of really close friends who call me on my BS and set me on the straight and narrow. These friends have really help me develop as as a better person. If think that Rowuk would be such a person. People often "lie" to themselves and it is good to have some around who cares about you enough to tell you like it is (or, as they see it). You just have to have enough courage to accept it. It also takes a thick skin and a whole lot of trust in that particular person that they have your best interest at heart.

Sometimes we are so "thick" that someone has to be rough to cut through the BS. Later in my life, I can really appreciate this. Does that mean I am "not" intimidated? "No". I still get intimidated but I know that sometimes harsh words are good for me.

I remember rowuk commenting something like this (this is paraphrasing from memory, and rowuk or anyone else can correct me with the actual reference):

(again, note: paraphrase) Until everybody gets it, we have to keep on reminding them
    or something like that.

Rowuk, and many of us as well, knows that it is really the player that makes the cut. Some horns with some specific material may get you some more overtones, but that only goes so far...

I think that his comment, even though he repeats it over and over again, is true. No one, not even rowuk could objectively judge an instrument because it's going to be different from person to person. Of course, Chinese imported garbage trumpets are a different story, but that aside...
    Bach Strad. 37
    Early Chicago C Model Monette

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Looks like the OP took his ball and went home in a huff - which is typical for his type of rant.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information