Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Recently restarted trumpet lessons in the General forums; Hey guys, I started playing the trumpet when I was 12, done it for a few years then gave up, ...
    New Friend

Recently restarted trumpet lessons

Hey guys,

I started playing the trumpet when I was 12, done it for a few years then gave up, however, I've started lessons after an 8 year gap of not touching it, I've had lessons for about two months, but I've been having some problems:

I find that the tone of the notes isnt very good, or very 'musical', is this something that will just improve its time?
    To hit higher notes I seem to be pressing the trumpet against my face which results in the notes sounding 'squeezed' out and after about 20 minutes of playing I have a very noticeable mark on my lips where the mouthpiece is
    My tutor also talks about how my tongue placement needs to change when playing different notes etc, yet I have a bad habit of just keeping mine at the roof of my mouth.
    Finally, my air capacity seems to be quite poor as well, I've heard a spirometer can help increase it, but I'm not entirely sure

I'd appreciate any advice I can get on this, I've been getting rather frustrated that I'm not improving as quickly as I'd like to

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Re: Recently restarted trumpet lessons

I personally think this tongue level stuff is a load of crap. For the rest of it... playing a trumpet takes YEARS. You need to practice every day, and practice well. Pay attention to your tone, and for range... try a little each day to extend it. You must not force a higher range or you will not only never get it... the rest of your range will suffer.

I know it's boring, but playing the same "easy" exercises day after day will help you improve... if you work hard to keep a good sound and work to use the least amount of effort to make the notes sound good.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

New York State USA

it takes time -- long soft notes (like even a 2nd line in the staff G) will help ---and soft long tones help with other areas of endurance and building the strength of the embouchure --- but it does take years, and 1,000's of repetitions, and practice, and time -- dont' get frustrated either -- that only impedes your progress (yup! easier said than done -- I know)
    mrsemman likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Mezzo Forte User

Breath work is so important. So your air problem is probably a multiple issue of relaxed breathing technique and projecting notes. The bell of the horn is your friendly transducer. Sometimes we begginers, myself included forget to let the horn do some of the work and let the breath take care of the rest.

I had the same trouble you did...I still have trouble keeping my tone consistent. I did find that my endurance could increase when trying to play complex passages if I would just sit down and do 15 minutes of long tones...Slow lethargic soupy low notes...over and over again.

Think of the fat guy with the tuba...Low long tones really help keep the muscles supple. It also aids in breathing endurance. Low notes require a low of air...Simple holding low...mid and higher...low, mid high...or simply low...mid, mid, low...

Good luck.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Gainesville, FL

We try to avoid using undue pressure with the mouthpiece, and try to use correct breathing with a relaxed embouchure (NOT LOOSE). You don't need any special techniques.
    Instead, thiis will take time and practice, and PATIENCE. If you try to progress too quickly, you will get frustrated. If you take time to build upon a good foundation, slowly expanding, you'll find the results are much more favorable. To this day I go back when I realize my foundation isn't strong enough, and work on the basics. Best of luck.
    kingtrumpet likes this.
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

I personally think this tongue level stuff is a load of crap.
    I don't know....

When I use the tongue & Ahhh- EEEE syllable it is pretty easy to change partials, say Bb-HighC-D with no chop movement. Just raising & lowering the back of the tongue. It feels like whistling a trill. Seems easier to me in higher partials. For me in the lower partials the gaps are bigger than the tongue can overcome without some corresponding embochure shift/

Either way, it does take some time & steady practice to develop. Earl Irons 27 Exercises would be a good place to start.

Cary NC

I still can't get the mental picture of the fat guy with the tuba out of my head. Thanks a lot BustedChops !
    mgcoleman likes this.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Rouko View Post
    ...I've had lessons for about two months...To hit higher notes I seem to be pressing the trumpet against my face which results in the notes sounding 'squeezed' out and after about 20 minutes of playing I have a very noticeable mark on my lips ...
    You are doing something very wrong if after 2 months, you can only make it to 20 minutes and sings of fatigue are setting in. Not sure if it is all related to the tongue placement. Perhaps there is breathing issues as well. Before you learn how to use your tongue, you really need to learn to breathe. Then there is the need to relax on the horn. Either you are gripping too tight on the horn OR you are pushing your face way too much into the horn. Then there is the equipment. If you have the wrong cup diameter and depth, your lips may not be able to optimally buzz. As you can see there is just too many factors in which to advise. Your current teacher is the best person to work with on this, but if after a few more months you are not making progress, then you may want to try to find another teacher. I would really like to try to help but at this phase...

By the way, welcome to TM and sorry about the rough start.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

Thanks for all the advice guys, and it wasn't fatigue that I was getting after 20 minutes, it's a mark against my lips where I've pressed the mouthpiece

Greensboro, NC
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information