Trumpet Discussion Discuss RECORDING HELP in the General forums; Hi all, I need some help. I want to start recording some of my music but i dont have any ...
    New Friend

Hi all,

I need some help. I want to start recording some of my music but i dont have any equipment. What i want to know is what equipment i will need to start recording (ie. mixers, mics, software, etc). Brand names and models would be helpful and mybe even some pricing. I want the sound to be clear (no muffling in the background like my pc mic ).

Thanks in advance,

Adrian M.
    How to trumpet players traditionally greet each other?

"Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm better than you."

cheap way would be to get a minidisc with a good outside mic... total cost around $400. You'd be able to take it to jam sessions, practice sessions, concerts, etc and all too

As for like a studio setup... beats me.

Monroe Ct.
    I record myself almost every day. This has helped me immensely.

The easiest way is to get Smart Music for your computer. Smart Music has about 50 concertos and solos to play with accompaniment. If your into jazz it has that too. You can change tempo or pitch without distortion. I didn't get the Mike that they recommended. I went to radio Shack and spent about 20.00 on one.

The other way I record myself is with a CD recorder. This was expensive. It can play a cd while recording one at the same time. They say it can slow down and speed up but you can't really record doing that because it creates noise. I also bought a guitar pedal for reverb. I plug the mike into that and then into the recorder. It creates a little white noise but not too bad.

Where exactly will you be recording? I have had success recording myself using my PC laptop with a Sony ECM-MS907 microphone plugged into the input. I don't own the microphone, I just borrowed it from my roomate. I think she said it costs about $100. I thought the sound quality is fine. I've made a few audition CDs that I think came out sounding alright (whatever was wrong with them certainly didn't have anything to do with the microphone ). The program on my computer that I use is CoolEdit Pro. I believe the rights have been purchased by Adobe and the product is now "Adobe Audition," which is much more expensive than I remember paying for CoolEdit (I think I saw it for 300). Anyways, I hope this helps.

New Friend
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the links. This is just what I have been looking for!

Chicago northern suburbs

Recording yourself...

I would use your PC. Look into Sonar/Cakewalk software.

You'll need a decent interface. A consumer sound-card generally won't be quite good enough to do justice to Sonar. Look into M-Audio interfaces.

As to mics, you could use a Shure or AudioTechnica. They make decent dynamic mics.

If you want to make accompanied recodrings for personal use, Music Minus One has some great CD's. These are indeed copyrighted sound recordings, though.

What I use is Sonar Cakewalk 4 Producer Edition (I'm still learning it, and Sonar just least Version 5! Drat!). I use the M-Audio FireWire 1814 Interface. I have a Berringer Pro8 Digital A/D converter light-piped into the M-Audio, thuse giving me 16 Inputs to my PC, live. Ten of these allow for XLR, phantom powered mics.

I use an AKG C414 condensor mic for recording my trumpet. These are good mics, but bright. Most engneers use tube or ribbon mics on trumpet. However, at the time I bought mine, ribbon mics were too cost-prohibitive and I didn't know about tube mics.

That's it for now. You are getting some great ideas to work with from all of the contributions made to your post already. I hope my 2 cents worth adds some more grist for the mill.

New Friend
    The thing about recording is that it in itself is an artform. It is really tough to try to record yourself.I would try to find an engineer in your area that would be willing to give you a deal for repeat buisness.that way you can just focus on the music.Two years ago I did my first cd with a local writer and sound engineer , and now we have a working 7 piece group and a second cd coming soon.It cost me a lot less than it would have for me get all the recording stuff.That stuff costs a fortune.
    good luck and have fun,
    Rob Diener

Thread Information