Trumpet Discussion Discuss Recovery time in the General forums; I have a practice routine that I try to keep to as much as possible: ~30 min warm up during ...
    Pianissimo User
    Manchester UK

Recovery time

I have a practice routine that I try to keep to as much as possible: ~30 min warm up during the day (schlossbergs, Clarke setting up drills, etc) followed by ~ up to 1 hr during early evening working on Arban, Colin, Ridgeon etc. Normally if i have a gig i wont practice the same day but will do some the next day - mostly light stuff. I've had 2 heavy (3 sets in high temperature) big band gigs where I've just been glad to get to the end - on saturday then last night with a bit of light blowing on Sunday. Sunday was ok. This evening I'm struggling to get anything out. I know the heat plays a part for me - difficult to keep the horn on my chops etc, but should I be concerned about this lack of consistency or just let it go - put the horn down because it just doesn't feel comfortable and wait for the weather to change (for US readers, we are in the middle of a mini heat wave in Manchester - hotter here than Jamaica apparently)? If you're not a seasoned pro how long would it normally take to fully recover from a hard gig (or series of gigs) and will trying to practice exacerbate the problem during this period. thoughts please?
    "I was minding my own business when something says to me, "you ought to blow trumpet." I have just been trying ever since." - Miles Davis

Eclipse LR/Warburton 3MD
    Olds Custom/Warburton 3M
    Eclipse Red Flugel/Bach 1 1/2C
    B&H "78" cornet/ DW2B

Piano User
    Somehow that type of weather makes it feel like your mouthpiece just got larger

I play very hard blowing gigs all the time---the secret is SMART practising and Smart performing.

My teacher, a great player in NYC, believes you should always stay "fresh" during your practise period. He always says "If someone walked into the practise room at any time and asked you to perform you should always be ready--never tired."

When performing try not to overblow and keep yourself within the same mental and physical framework as when you practise.

I used to toy with the idea of taking days off from practise but in the past few years I find that simply practising everyday, without driving your chops to exhaustion, is better for consistancy and healthier chops.

Thread Information