Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Red Rot ID? Picture? in the General forums; I've been reading threads about used instruments and have come across the term "Red Rot" a few times. Since I'm ...
    Pianissimo User

Red Rot ID? Picture?

I've been reading threads about used instruments and have come across the term "Red Rot" a few times. Since I'm about to look at used instruments to buy, I'd like to know it when I see it. Is Red Rot something that I should expect to be rare if I'm buying a used instrument from a music retailer? Does anybody know if there is picture of it somewhere so that I'd know what I'm looking for?

Fortissimo User

Re: Red Rot ID? Picture?

Here is a thread with information and a photo. Read the posts (photo is in post #12). It is pretty good. I have seen others here but I couldn't find the others right now.

I hope this helps.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140...s-50303-2.html (Bought a pretty horn off eBay and it's rotten through?)

By the way, I have bought quite a few used trumpets - many on ebay - and only one so far has has the type of red rot that is shown in the photo. So, it does seem to be fairly uncommon.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User

Thank you, Comeback Kid - this is exactly what I was looking for. Now that I see the pictures from the older thread, I think I may have seen it back in high school 25+ years ago on a very old French Horn. I don't expect I'll see it on the horns I'll look at on my used horn purchasing expedition, but I'll feel assured that I'm not overlooking something.

Mezzo Piano User

a word of advice, Red Rot spreads like Cancer

Every standard yellow brass Bach trumpet that I have owned red rotted within 6-8 years in spite of regular cleaning. Probably has something to do with my saliva. My gold brass Bach 229H CL is 35 years old with no signs of evil.

It is common but affects mostly the leadpipe and tuning slide - relatively easy parts to replace.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Fortissimo User

Out of interest I've never seen red rot on a silver plate instrument. Is it just on laquered and gold "coloured instruments"

Cheers

Andrew

Silver plate protects from red rot, as does high copper content brass such as rose brass and red brass and solid copper horns. This is the reason all new Yamaha student horns have Rose brass leadpipes.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

My Bachs were silver plate. The red rot came from the unplated inside. They first show up as "blisters". If you take a pin, you can make a hole right through the metal.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Red rot doesn't eat through silver. I have heard about old horns where the red rot has eaten through the brass leaving just the paper thin plating.
    Red rot comes from the inside of the horn where the brass is most affected by moisture.

I wasn't clear in explaining the silver issue.

Sterling leadpipes are not affected because they are all silver.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Red rot starts on the inside.

When you look down a leadpipe of a clean, new horn it should be shiny and smooth.

When you look down the leadpipe of a clean, old horn with red rot, you will see little (if you are lucky) pits, usually with sharp outlines. How long it takes to "break through"
    to the outside of the pipe and whether or not it has much impact on the horn's playability is not well agreed upon.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information