Trumpet Discussion Discuss Refinishing/rebuilding trumpet advice needed in the General forums; Hi everyone, Happy to have found this web site. I played trumpet in high school and now over 30 years ...
    New Friend

Refinishing/rebuilding trumpet advice needed

Hi everyone, Happy to have found this web site. I played trumpet in high school and now over 30 years later have picked up the horn again. After a few months of playing in a local community band I find myself getting the lips back again! When I first decided to start playing again, I picked up my old horn a 1949 Olds Super that was my dad's, then mine, and a couple of my kids played it for a few years more recently. Well, the trumpet needed some significant work-looks terrible and most importantly, the valves needed replating. I got some quotes from some refinishers recommended from an Olds website I found, but the prices seemed very high -- ranging to over $1000 for a complete reconditioning and valve replating. I was lucky enough to find a used silver Olds Custom in like new condition that I got for a great price. It sound great, but is not as easy to play (in tune) as the Super was and I have started re-looking at getting it re-built. A couple of people on this web site mentioned George Borodi and so I contacted him. His price seems very reasonable compared to the other quotes I got. So I was wondering if anyone has had any trumpets refinished by Mr. Borodi and can give me some recommendations and critiques about his work before I send the trumpet to him. Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to talking with you all again. Steve C.

Piano User

Re: Refinishing/rebuilding trumpet advice needed

Hi,

I had a 1950 LA Olds Ambassador restored by George. I was very satisfied with the job overall. A little sloppy oversolder near the braces was the only nitpick I had with the job although others may not have had such success.

Cheers,

Brian
    "Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

New Friend

Thanks Brian. I appreciate your reply.
    Steve

Pianissimo User

I would highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Dr. Valve (Steve Winans) Doctor Valve, Trumpet Repair and Restoration You can select the services you want. If in doubt, just ask Steve for his recommendations. I brought in a horn I thought needed valve work and he did a thorough cleaning instead and it works great. He could easily have said, OK and then just billed me for unnecessary work. But he didn't and that is a testament to his credibility. On another instrument he did replate the valves and they are better than when new.
    Last edited by Scooter01; 02-26-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added afterthought

New Friend

Thanks Scooter. I've looked at their web site and their prices look higher than I want to spend right now. I know I need valve replating which gets really high.

Thread Information