Trumpet Discussion Discuss Regaining range. in the General forums; Im in highschool, and every summer I usually practice regularly. But this summer I took a trip out of the ...
    New Friend

Regaining range.

Im in highschool, and every summer I usually practice regularly. But this summer I took a trip out of the country and just got back a few days ago. Over this trip I didnt have a single chance to practice. I used to be able to reach a C above the staff with good quality and all, but now I am even struggling reaching a G above the staff. I was wondering what excersizes would be best for getting my range/quality back. Ive been doing scales and longtones on the mouthpiece, but It dosent seem to be helping much :/

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Regaining range.

Welcome to TM, 5c077! Arpeggios seem to be the favored means to increase range. A common exercise would be to play: c-e, c-e-g, c-e-g-c across one octave, then transpose the exercise a half tone higher. Good for our brains and our chops.

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

"Progressive studies in the High Register, Trumpet"
    Item 29090
    Hickeys Music Center - Trumpet Studies & Etudes

"I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

What were you doing when you had that high C. Do the same things and come back slowly.

New Friend

Awesome, thank you all very much!

And I guess when I was able to hit the C, it was just from experience? Like I havent ever really done any Range excersizes, it just kind of came to me after practicing almost every day for the past six years. Haha.

New Friend

Hey..may I suggest the Colin advanced lip flexibilities book and also the slurring studies in the arban book from pages 39 to 47..They are great studies tog et the chops to form and they help with flexibilty to attain or regain range.

To "get back" something that you had, you only need your old routine and some time. To get better, you need a better routine and MORE time.

If you have a solid daily routine, then you are good to go. If not, it's about time (after 6 years).

I recommend buzzing, long tones with the mouthpiece, long tones with the trumpet, lip slurs, a couple of scales (different ones EVERY day) as a daily routine.

Then comes a series of tunes/repertory and at the end of the session technical studies (brain, finger and tongue twisters). NEVER PRACTICE MUSIC WHEN YOUR CHOPS ARE TIRED - PUT THE MUSICAL STUFF EARLY IN YOUR PRACTICE SESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long tones can be played without a book. A very good book for slurs is Earl Irons Lip Flexibilities.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information