Trumpet Discussion Discuss Regarding Lip Swelling in the General forums; What really causes the lips to swell? Is it always a bad thing? And what if the lips tend to ...
    Pianissimo User

Regarding Lip Swelling

What really causes the lips to swell?
    Is it always a bad thing?
    And what if the lips tend to swell the day after with only slight increases in playing amount?

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Re: Regarding Lip Swelling

Hi John

The usual cause of lip swelling in well practiced lips is, as far as I know, excess mouthpiece pressure. In some cases a new mouthpiece can cause you lips to be out of kilter. Swelling the day after I'm not sure about. On the rare occasions when mine do swell slightly it is imediately after playing and it goes down within a few minutes. Usually that means, for, me, back to basic exercises as well as normal practice for a few days to reduce presure. Is there anything dietary that you have changed? I know some people have to avoid salty and or acidic foods when they are about to play. I have read that dehydration can add to lip swelling.

The best advice and you will have seen it a lot on here is to check with a teacher for things like mouthpiece pressure, just to check its a technical issue not a medical one

Last edited by Cornyandy; 11-23-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: little bit more to add (got distracted)

Levittown , NY

Re: Regarding Lip Swelling

Swelling can be caused by a few different things. The most common one is using too much mouthpiece pressure. Another is playing too loud,both will cause the lips to swell.Both cases can benefit by practicing softly. When practicing rest often, don't push your endurance to the point of exhaustion,practicing on tired lips allows a multitude of bad habits to creep into your playing.
    If your lips are a little swollen the next day,warm-up very softly with plenty of rests in between long tones.Most players lips will swell a little because of the increased blood flow to the lips,so don't worry about it too much.

Thread Information