Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Regrets? in the General forums; Let's see, for someone who grew up in a cultural wasteland I was fortunate to see a lot of people ...

Re: Regrets?

Let's see, for someone who grew up in a cultural wasteland I was fortunate to see a lot of people when I was younger. Highlights:

-Maynard (several times between 73 and 85, then again in 97) - always awesome...
    -Miles - I was at one of the KIX shows in Boston when he came out of retirement (that's me cheering on We Want Miles = )
    -Mangione - saw him several times in the mid 70s with the Grant Geissman/Vadala band. They were always great
    -Buddy - with JOHNNY COLES playing the jazz chair!!! I couldn't believe it! This was around 1979
    -Kenton - several times
    -Woody
    -Don Ellis - about 6 months before he died. He could only play Superbone, but boy did he PLAY it!
    -Woody Shaw with a local rhythm section at the Willow in Somerville MA

too many more to mention....

Regrets:

-Miles - I would have loved to see him with ANY of the pre-retirement bands
    -Freddie Hubbard (one of my favorite players). I had tickets once, but it was cancelled...sigh
    -Zawinul - I saw WR and the Syndicate many times, but I would have liked to have seen him again before he passed
    -Duke Ellington
    -Basie
    -only saw Clark Terry once (maybe I'll get another chance)
    -only saw Diz twice

I don't go to see many concerts anymore. I'm just not that interested in much of what's out there these days, but I always try to get to see a Master if they're in town, in case I don't get another chance....

bigtiny

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

I got to hear most the young up and coming European trumpeters, did hear Ludwig G├╝ttler (who stole a good paying gig from me, creep!) the German Brass but missed out on Andre. That I regret, because I had my chances.

Heard Tower of Power in a 4 hour bar gig in State Line Idaho in their original formation (omg)!, never saw Chicago, have gotten to hear Doc, Cat Anderson and Al Vizzutti from the other side of the bell, but would have dearly loved to have seen Don Ellis. That may be my biggest regret.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, to few to mention.

Mezzo Forte User

I never had a chance to hear Maurice Andre live and I would've liked to hear Charlie Schlueter in the BSO.

I did see Bud Herseth play the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra before he retired...that's one of my personal musical highlights.

Well, as a free-lancer, I have the lovely opportunity to work with many of the greats - some jazz and some pop (in their day, anyway). I won't list them all here, but I sure welcome the hits on my site (Nick Drozdoff :: Home) and on my press kit page, I have a partial list near the bottom. You are sure welcome to drop by, but in this context, I don't think it means much to anyone but me. That's cool.

In addition to folks I got to hear by virtue of working gigs with them I got hear:

Miles
    Bill Chase (several times)
    Woody Herman (many times)
    Buddy Rich
    Count Basie (he actually sat in with a band I was playing in when we opened for him!)

There are more, but I'm drawing a blank.

Folks I missed, sadly:

Dizzy (that one really bugs me)
    Harry James
    Chet Baker
    Ray Charles

More local to Chicago:
    Rudy Stauber

OK, those are the ones that pop into mind for the moment.

Interesting thread...

I guess I'm concerned about there being a sense of loss here. I don't think I want to think of it that way. Thank heavens for recordings and Youtube.

Peace.

Nick

Missed going to see Chase because we thought the 1 hour drive was too far........unbelievable how you perceive things in a small town.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post

I guess I'm concerned about there being a sense of loss here. I don't think I want to think of it that way. Thank heavens for recordings and Youtube.

Peace.

Nick
    You know, it's funny. I'm still totally amazed when I'm listening to a record of Diz or Louis (or anybody for that matter) and I really stop to think about it. I mean, I'm ACTUALLY hearing what happened in some little room in Chicago in 1924 or whatever!!!! We take this stuff for granted because it's been around us since we were born, but if you really stop to think about it, it's pretty incredible....

bigtiny

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

One regret. . .

Carmine Caruso came backstage at the 92nd St. Y after I played a pretty good Leopold Mozart Concerto back in the early 80s. After introducing himself and making small-talk he asked "I guess you don't have any trouble playing high notes?" and, being the imperceptive young twerp that I was then, my reply was "nope". It was only years later after Carmine passed that I realized he was asking if I'd like to study with him.

A golden, life-changing, moment lost.

Late night musing,
    EC

I used to regret growing up in the bush and missing all the big names but the advantage is that I developed my own style and many of the young guys who grew up in the city play very much alike.
    Last edited by ozboy; 05-25-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information