Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Regrets? in the General forums; Being an old guy, I've been honored to have heard some great musicians in the past. Also, I've kicked myself ...
    Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

Being an old guy, I've been honored to have heard some great musicians in the past. Also, I've kicked myself for having missed some heros before they've passed on.

Heard: Dizzy, Maynard(many times), Armando Ghitalla, Miles, Jimmy McPartland, Count Basie, Buddy Rich,

Missed: Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald,

Who's on your list. Get out and see them while you can!

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Regrets?

Maynard passed through my town in 1992 but I didn't go to see him because money was rather tight in my household at the time.
    I hadn't seen him in concert since 1975.
    It turns out that he never again came close enough to my town for me to see him again.
    Now it is too late.

I saw Bill Chase in concert 2 times, in 1972 and in 1973.
    I wish I could have seen him again before he died in 1974.

I wish I could see Lin Biviano in concert again, because it was such fun seeing him swagger and lean so far back for the high notes.
    But I don't know if he is doing much public playing anymore?
    Just how old is he now? 60?
    If he is semi-retired and not travelling much, then I have lost the chance to see him play again.

1975-2005 were rough years for me, I was so concerned with just trying to survive that I had to put concert-going on hold for all those years.
    Now that the dust has settled and I have the opportunity to go see some concerts, that era has passed and the people I enjoyed seeing are gone.

I did receive a small thrill last week, though.
    Twice a local oldies radio station played Chase' "Get It On", so he has not been completely forgotten by the general public.

I know that people say that through many recordings people like Maynard Ferguson will be remembered,
    but most of MF's recordings did not sound anything like he did in concert.
    On the records he often sounded like he was too much in the background.
    But in person he sounded like a jet plane engine roaring within 2 inches of my ears.
    And in person you got to see MF joke and clown around, which was half the fun of seeing him in concert.

- Morris
    Last edited by screamingmorris; 05-14-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Quebec City, QC, Canada

My list of regrets includes pretty much everybody :P
    NYTC Stage 1 California Light - Wedge 3C cup w/ Warburton 7 backbore mpc
    Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975) - Schilke 15B mpc
    Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP mpc
    Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Heard: Maynard, Kenton, Basie, Rich, Zentner, Fitzgerald,( Clooney,Bennett,Roger Williams, Shirley Jones, Jack Jones, Toni Tenille, Vic Damone, Judy Collins, Kathy Mattea, Tony Orlando, Frankie Avalon, 5th Dimension, Hal Linden, Rita Moreno, Diahann Carroll, Glen Campbell, Ben Vereen) all guests for our Holiday concerts over the years with the KCB.

Missed: everyone else, except thru recordings, movies and Youtube.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend
    York, PA

I would have liked to have seen Harry James.

Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

Thanks for the memories. I also heard Stan Kenton, Chase(6 months befor the plane crash), Lin Biviano(with Buddy Rich and a touring Lawerence Welk review!), and Rosemary Clooney.

Pianissimo User
    Hertfordshire, UK

Being a youngster (well 22) I missed a lot of the greats but one trumpeter I would've loved to have met and seen would've been Eddie Calvert. I gather, from what I've been told, that my Grandma (who told me the story - and is, thankfully, still around to tell me more) nursed his mother and she met him on very many occasions and he played for her on at least one occasion.
    Nick Jolly

Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out. - William Christopher Handy

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have heard some of the greatest of the greats, Harry James, Ziggy Elman, Satchmo Armstrong, Leonard Smith, Del Staigers, Raphael Mendez, Esteban Carrillo, and Doc Severenson, all in person, and most of the other great trumpeters on recordings. I consider myself fortunate to have these memories.

Last edited by oldlou; 05-14-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Ithaca NY

Though not trumpet players -
    I would like to see George Shearing live before he moves on. Missed Oscar Peterson, darn it. Other misses too many to list.

Saw Adolph Scherbaum with (I think) George Szell and the Cleveland Philharmonic, Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, all in the same hall (different times), Bailey at Cornell U.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Deep in the heart of TX

Have seen Maynard more times than I can count on my hands and toes....and always enjoyed. He was always accessible - even after the shows. A real class performer.

Others I've had the pleasure to see: Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Rich, Herbie Mann, Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, Chuck Mangione, Stan Getz, Doc Severinsen, Wynton Marsalis.

I have to admit to seeing the Baja Marimba Band at the Allentown Fair back in the late 60s - followed by some singing group - some lady and the Supremes???? (I was so outta step...)

Experienced the Canadian Brass - only seats were on-stage - kinda to the side and behind them - hot under the lights - and my wife was 5 mos pregnant - I'm still paying for that one!!!!

Got mugged after a George Benson concert at the Concerts in the Park in Philly.....City of Brotherly love.....

Wish I could have been old enough and had cash to get to Newport in the '60s......
    Kanstul 1525 Flugel
    Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Z Flugel
    1967 Getzen Eterna (my 2nd - still going strong after all these years)
    1961 Olds Special (my 1st...battered, bruised, & passed around but back home)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information