Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Relative ease of playing a trumpet vs cornet in the General forums; I think that the cornet can be easier if one is able to turn the macho off and get REALLY ...

Re: Relative ease of playing a trumpet vs cornet

I think that the cornet can be easier if one is able to turn the macho off and get REALLY sensual. There is something erotic about playing cornet. Why do you think that the famous solos all have cadenzas with a high note at the end? EARGASM!

The only lesson is that you need is "do not try and blow the braces off of the horn!"
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Greensboro, NC

I play all 3 a lot. They are different. I can't say one is easier than the other. You don't need a reason to get a cornet and flugel. You're a trumpet player! You don't need any stinking excuses. (Apologies to mexican stereotypes). I would go ahead and buy the best you can afford. You'll play better, enjoy it more and save money in the long run.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Mezzo Forte User

They all play differently, so at first it may seem more difficult, but as you gain more comfort on a new instrument, the difficulty will usually fade. Each has it's own idiosyncrasies and strengths, but I can't really say that one or the other is objectively harder or easier.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

When I look at your list of horns, two of them provide an excellent reference point from which to address your question - at least as far as a Cornet goes. I have not played a Flugelhorn but I think that issue is separate. As far as a pocket trumpet goes, my opinion is that a cornet provides the compactness for which most people buy a pocket trumpet but a cornet is a REAL instrument, can be played in real gigs, is more sturdy, more musical - just all around more useful. So I would say save the money that you would spend on a pocket trumpet and buy a very nice cornet.

That brings us back to your trumpets and how they can provide insights into the issues of a cornet. I see that you have a Yamaha 2320 and an Olds special. I have the same trumpets (except my Yamaha is a 232) and I have a cornet equivalent to each one. Both my Yamaha cornet and my Olds Special cornet are easier to play than the corresponding trumpet - including the upper registers. They have a different sound so they are useful for different situations than the trumpet. Mine are both beautiful instruments which someone could easily mistake for new. And - the best part - each one was under $200. You can easily find a very nice Olds Ambassador for around $100 and those things are bulletproof.

I also have a beautiful Holton C605 with a shepards crook bell and with the right mouthpiece, it actually sounds somewhat like a Flugelhorn. I paid around $200 for it so something like that could save you that cost, as well. So, the point is, cornets are wonderful instruments if, as Rowuk says, you can put aside the 'Macho factor' and just enjoy the sound. But, as Dale and Glen have pointed out, you will then definitely catch the 'shiny brass object' syndrome (AKA the 'N+1 virus') like the rest of us.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend
    Prudenville, Mi.

Hey Bruce in a Peg, what Dale says and the same can be said about the Flugel. Lay back on the air power because you don't have blow the stand over. Just think nice sexy thought and make her speak.

New Friend

Because cornet is a conical instrument it creates a sine x/x wave were x is the variation in apex. Cylindrical trumpets are purely sinusoidal. with regards to tone ..the cornet creates higher amplitude overtones near the fundamental than a trumpet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information