Trumpet Discussion Discuss Repair Shops, Canada in the General forums; In keeping with my tradition of "snooping out" music shops wherever I go, I happened into a little place in ...
    Fortissimo User

Repair Shops, Canada

In keeping with my tradition of "snooping out" music shops wherever I go, I happened into a little place in Victoria BC this Easter week. The shop is called "The Brass Woodwind Shop" and it's located down near the harborfront on Store St. Their website is http://www.brassandwoodwind.ca . I spoke to the owner, Don Geisbrecht and looked around his little one room shop. He has full repair and overhaul facilities, can make arrangements for complete refinishing including plating (done off-site by a third party), and buys and sells used instruments of the wind family. He has some nice old horns on his wall for sale.. check 'em out at his website.

So if any of you folks in BC (or even Alberta) are looking for someone who can remove dents, overhaul, replace bits and pieces, give Don a shout. He sells over the 'net (I've purchased a sax ligature from him that way and was happy to meet him in person. Nice guy.

I believe he does virtually all of the service work for the U Vic music faculty as well as the Vic Symphony.

Welcome Home Ed....so what time does Canada Post deliver tomorrow??

In Toronto I'd certainly recommend 2 artists:

Ron Partch
    RON PARTCH BRASSWIND SERVICES
    849 Bloor Street West
    Toronto, ON M6G 1M3
    Tel: (416) 516-3883
    Fax: (416) 516-0825
    Hours: Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM
    Services: Sales, service and accessories of brass instruments only

and/or

Ted Sparks' Musical Services (of the Sparx cornet MPs)
    20 Melham Ct. unit # 10
    Toronto, ON M1B 2T6
    Canada
    (416) 609-1079 ** call first
    http://www.sparxmusic.com

These are the only guys I'd let touch my horns in Toronto ... or in Canada from my experience!!
    Bill

Olds Ambassador, Special, Super, Recording, Mendez, Custom Bb & C trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
    Olds Opera & Ambassador A6 Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
    Olds L-12 Flugelhorn, GR/Melk Leadpipe, GR Butcher 65.6FL

Fortissimo User
    No idea, Bill. No "pick up" card in the mail at home so that means Tuesday at the earliest. *sigh* I wonder if Leigh forgot? He's probably off doing his prenatal breathing exercises!

By the way.. I also dropped into Long & McQuade in Victoria (great sheet music selection... unless you're looking for trumpet quartet or quintet stuff). They're selling (sticker price... your dickering skills may get lower numbers) ML43 for $2,350; ML37 for $2,085; YTR 8335 RGM at $2,365; and V1 1BSP at $2,365. (roughly... I may have missed $10 or so but not much). They have all four hanging on the wall. Nice, big shop but all repairs done off premises and I didn't have a day or three to wait for them to do the spring replacement.

(Shoddy Schilke water key springs... hardly a year and a half old and it breaks already!!!! I knew there was a reason I preferred Amado!)

New Friend
    There are also two good shop and repair shop in Montreal. Both 5 minute walking from each other...

- Twigg Music on St-Hubert Street (Berri-UQAM metro station)

- Arduini Music on Amherst street (Berri-UQAM metro station too)

I had never had a job done at neither of these place, but I have good comment on those place. I just go there for shopping trumpet, mpc and accessories.

Unfortunatly, they don't have Eclispe horn... I'd love to try one!
    -= 709 royal canadian air cadet squadron brass instructor =-

Thread Information