Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Repairing a solder weld? in the General forums; I searched but didn't see this question. I just purchased a used silver Bach TR300 for my son to start ...
    New Friend

Repairing a solder weld?

I searched but didn't see this question.

I just purchased a used silver Bach TR300 for my son to start 6th grade band with. It has a few minor defects. One of which is the weld on the bracket nearest the mouthpiece is broken. I wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. The way I see it I could just leave it as it is. Or I could try a few drops of super glue or epoxy. Or I could take it to a repair shop. I would like the trumpet to last my son until I am convinced he is serious and old enough to use my strad.

Re: Repairing a solder weld?

Repair shop...
    Jon Petter

Inderbinen Alpha and Inderbinen Studie
    Monette Prana B6 S1 82
    Monette Prana B6L S1 82

CarolBrass QT Custom (quartertone)

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

"I'm hungry and need something to e
    at!" (a hungry) -Dizzy Gillespie

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Quote Originally Posted by rettepnoj View Post
    repair shop...

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Greensboro, NC

take it to a repair shop. have them look the horn over for anyrhing else it might need. It should have new valve felts installed. This is a good horn. If you e mail me I would be glad to send you my paper on trumpet maintainance.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Definitely take it to a brass repair tech. There is a definite technique to doing those kinds of repairs and they are (IMO) best left to those who really know what they are doing. They'll do it up right and it shouldn't break the bank

Nice catch on that Bach - it's a decent trumpet that will take him well into High School.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

When those braces break loose, there is a reason. It can be further damage, but quite often it is the manufacturing process. The instruments are assembled on jigs and if something doesn't fit just right, a bit of force is applied and then soldered. This makes a big difference in the response of the horn and is the reason that many "love" or "hate" this horn (or many other models of Bach for instance).

When it goes to the tech, they can examine for additional damage and with little effort make the horn as good or very often better than new!

Using glues is not recommended. They make a real repair more difficult because you have to completely disassemble and clean the gunk off first. Superglue can break loose while playing - not nice for the chops..................
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User
    Gilroy, California

Rowuk ..... pure gold.

I'd NEVER use glue not even j-b weld, nada. Repair shop is the ONLY answer. It'll be done right and a repair guy will stand behind his work.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Ithaca NY

That brace is often victim of a stuck-mouthpiece removal attempt, so there could be leadpipe/receiver damage as well. A tech will look for that.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR IT YOURSELF!! Take it to a repair shop and let them do their thing.

South Salem, NY

To repair trumpet $x
    To undo owner's repair $6x

As a repairman, I have had to undo this type of mess. Bring it to any of my colleagues, as suggested earlier. They will not only fix the symptom, but will also be able to determine and rectify the underlying fault which caused this brace to let go. It could be as simple as a sloppy factory solder job just before lunch break.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information