Trumpet Discussion Discuss Reputable Teachers in the General forums; When an advanced player needs a good teacher, one would likely seek an experienced teacher, no? That experienced teacher has ...
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

Reputable Teachers

When an advanced player needs a good teacher, one would likely seek an experienced teacher, no? That experienced teacher has to have come from somewhere, right? When is a good time to start giving private lessons, and what age group one should initially try to teach?

I'm going to be helping a close friend of mine with developing to be a decent trumpeter so she can play trumpet in her college marching band. I figure if I teach effectively to her (thanks to the countless notes I've taken from here, my own lessons, and some of my own thoughts and analogies), I could do some teaching at the middle school. I'm especially interested in the opinions of those who have a lot of teaching already under their belt, but I'll gladly take any advice given.
    Last edited by Pakatak; 11-14-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: clarification
    Yamaha YTR 6335HS
    B&S 5C
    Wedge 5DC w/ Wedge M Backbore

The Wide Brown Land

Re: Reputable Teachers

Teaching is in the head - it's mostly commonsense.

You don't actually need to be able to match your student's level of skill to help her advance as long as all criticism is constructive and ends on positive note.

You need:
    A target, a time scale, and a measurable outcome.
    You also need to know current competency and desired competency.
    You need to know if it is, in fact, achievable.
    You also need to know if training (teaching) is the way to achieve the desired outcome - it may not be, (she may just need practice for example) and you HAVE to ask yourself that question.

Now ...

1. Imagine how YOU would like to be treated - a good starting point.
    2. Observe carefully - take notes for later focussed discussion.
    3. Establish what your student thinks is her weakness.
    4. Does her weakness manifest itself in your observations.
    5. Discuss your observations.
    6. Are you out of your depth yet?
    7. Try and establish a desired outcome.
    8. Establish mechanisms to reach that outcome - in small steps.
    9. Make sure that the stepped outcomes are achievable.
    10. Consolidate with a practice regime.

Now ...

Start all over.

Easy - init?

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Re: Reputable Teachers

At one point in time, the player needs something like "apprenticeship". That means studying with a player that is successfully playing for a living. That is where you learn the tricks of the trade. That person may not be the best "teacher", but the bearer of EXPERIENCE. They can also be the bearer of OPPORTUNITY when they take the student with them on a gig.

If we look at a recommnendable cycle:
    1) good teacher for beginners needs motivational powers to get the student started and hungry for more. Most of the accomplishments here in developing patience, breathing and proper practice habits.
    2) the next teacher for "intermediates" needs to be tougher. The student needs to learn to deal with challenges, the focus is on skills that need to be developed and with experience a more "serious" approach. Most students do not reach the end of this "intermediate" stage. They quit before all of the basic skills are in reasonable proportion to one another.
    3) once the student has those "all-round" qualities, the apprenticeship starts. Here the student knows what works from a technical standpoint but by being near an "artist" have the opportunity to learn what cannot be conveyed in any method books.

Naturally we are all different and the transition from one stage to the next is pretty fuzzy.

A reputable teacher needs to be defined by where you are in the cycle. An intermediate with BAD habits may be better off with a teacher for beginners. In most cases, like with doctors, the one that tells you the truth is most reputable. If you are fat or smoke, the doc should tell you that that is not good and what YOU need to do. Putting band aids on problems is the sign of a wimp. The worst possible teacher! Reputable means that you are confronted with your weaknesses and a plan is developed to balance your playing.

The student looking for range may not be happy with the teacher that says that their breathing sucks and doesn't work on high notes, rather 6 months to a year of breathing exercizes. Failure for that short term goal would not be because of a non-reputable teacher, rather a non-reputable student.

So after all of this, we can determine that reputable does not mean "right".

A good teacher can bring the best out of a willing student. If the goals are not aligned, desaster is pre programmed!

We have several TMers that also do not listen and bounce around with concepts. The best teacher for them would be one that does not offer the lie of quick fixes. Whether or not they would have the patience for what is right is questionable.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information