Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Vulgano Brother
  • 5 Post By musicalmason
  • 2 Post By Harky
  • 1 Post By barliman2001
  • 1 Post By trickg
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Reverse or standard lead pipe? in the General forums; Looking to buy a new trumpet. My current trumpet has a reverse lead pipe. Shall I go for another reverse ...
    New Friend

Reverse or standard lead pipe?

Looking to buy a new trumpet. My current trumpet has a reverse lead pipe. Shall I go for another reverse lead pipe or get a standard one? What is the difference between the two?

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Reverse or standard lead pipe?

Welcome to TM, hattersley!

Try both.
    tobylou8 and Conntribution like this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

Welcome to TM!. No experience here with reverse lead-pipes. Mine are standard configuration and I like them very much.
    Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

It depends what you are after...

In theory reversed leadpipe will be a bit more free blowing, open and possibly in tune due to it being slightly more efficient. With that said these differences may or may not exist in every case and to most of us will probably not be HUGE differences compared to a similar conventional slide.

With THAT all said... some people will prefer a bit more resistence etc from the conventional setup SO yeah... the real answer would be if at all possible you should really try both setups and see what feels best for you... it's a preference thing for sure.

Hope that helps!
    Scott Kelch

Adams A9 - large bore
    Adams A5
    Adams Custom Series gold brass/nickel Flugelhorn
    Olds Ambassador Tuning Bell OR Double Bell trumpet by SK Brassworks (that's me!)
    Olds Ambassador C Trumpet- SK Brassworks Conversion (That's me!)
    ACB "TA" series mouthpieces - Safari OVER!

My opinion on this issue has been an evolving one. My current opinion is that it is the brace placement that makes the biggest difference on a reversed leadpipe horn. I learned this by moving braces around on both standard and reversed leadpipe models. Moving the front brace back, closer to the valve block can have the effect of making a horn a bit more lively. All that said, you need to play these horns and try them out. Differences from one horn to another (even with the same make and model) can be very noticeable, which is why play testing is so important.
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.

Lancaster, PA

Most folks find that after trying many horns they will buy the one they like best - regardless of the lead pipe configuration. But hold on there's more.... then when they are proudly talking about their new purchase with their cohorts they will say knowingly... "of course this one has the reverse lead pipe." :)
    edfitzvb and J. Jericho like this.
    Absence of proof is not proof of absence; mankind's greatest power lies in belief, textured with experience limited only by ones willingness to dream.

2012 Getzen Custom 3051
    1986 Yamaha YTR 6340
    1976 Bach Strad
    1965-66 Selmer K-modified
    1951 King SilverSonic
    1975 Getzen Eterna flugel

If you play tested blindfolded, I doubt you could tell the difference. I've read that the most important part of the lead pipe is the first 4-5 inches, well before the tuning slide. Of course there is the Pilzuk (sp??) lead pipe, stepped the entire length. Try them all! It'll be fun!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Ithaca NY

I second the opinion of musicalmason on this one. Brace placement and responsiveness are the main areas impacted. Trying as many horns as one can w/o considering the design is the way to pick the one for you. If you are not in a position to do this, then it's a cr*pshoot.

Vienna, Austria, Europe

The main thing is the feel of the horn. When I first tried my Jupiter 812, it just felt and sounded great. Only later did I find out that it has a reverse leadpipe... and I still don't care about the theory.
    All my other horns have standard ones (and feel great in the respective situations I use them for). So - don't bother your head about technicalities. Just let the horn itself tell you whether it likes you or not...
    tobylou8 likes this.

I'll echo the others - let the pliay test do the talking. If when the smoke clears you prefer a horn with a reversed leadpipe, then so be it. If not, it's not going to hold you back becasue the horn will be player, reversed leadpipe or not.

Having said that, Schilke B models are all reverse leadpipe trumpets, and reading about how Renold extensively prototyped and tested his trumpet models, there must have been a reason he created them as reverse leadpipe trumpets. Then again, initially he thought that the end of the mouthpiece should butt up against the leadpipe venturi, and we now know that this isn't really ideal - there should be some gap in the receiver.

For Bachs, I always prefered standard leadpipe to reversed leadpipe, but I'm not sure how much difference it really makes.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Thread Information