Trumpet Discussion Discuss Reversed Lead Pipe in the General forums; Okay so I've already made a bunch of threads on how I'm in the market for a new trumpet but ...
    New Friend

Reversed Lead Pipe

Okay so I've already made a bunch of threads on how I'm in the market for a new trumpet but now I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I went down to the local store and tried 4 different trumpets. Out of the four, the two that felt the best to me was a standard bach strad and a bach strad with a reversed lead pipe. The other 2 were also bach's with different weight variations which I didnt really like.

Now I've already done a search of the forums to look at opinions on the reversed lead pipe and I'm seeing a lot of people saying it hurts projection? I really liked the sound and feel of the reversed lead when I played it but I'm going to be playing for a marching band soon and I'm going to need all the projection I can get, I'm going to be using this new horn for all around playing, IE Concert Band, Marching Band, etc. So I'd like your opinions thanks!
    Last edited by GlassMen91; 07-26-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

Re: Reversed Lead Pipe

Don't make your decision based on specs data, trust your ears and your experience. If it suits you, don't worry what's written on the box. If in doubt get a teacher or playing buddy to listen when you is even better if you can take horns on rehearsal and return the one(s) which worked worst for you in the band room.
    Last edited by trumpetnick; 07-26-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Levittown , NY

One of the players in the section with me uses the reversed leadpipe with a 43 bell and has no problem with projection, the reversed leadpipe is supposed to give the horn a more open feel and maybe who ever told you it doesn't project had trouble filling the horn .

The truth of the matter is that the reversed leadpipe only forces the designer to move the leadpipe to bell brace further back. That lets the bell "ring" a bit more, gives the player more feedback but reduces what the audience gets.

My take: so what? Let 5-10% less get to the audience. Is your playing such world class that it makes a difference? Mine isn't. Those players at the cutting edge can realize an advantage perhaps of one design over the other. The rest of us don't know what the absolute truth is anyway. What we think we are feeding the room is very often completely different. The fact that you hear yourself better makes the horn feel more open (it is in fact not though). If that increases your confidence while playing, go for it. Many commercial players prefer the reversed leadpipe arrangement as that more open "feeling" is more important than that last ounce of projection - they are playing into microphones anyway.

As far as you needing all the projection that you can get: that is PLAIN BS. When you play outdoors, none of the standard rules apply. You have no acoustic space helping you. That would make a horn that is easier to hear a slight advantage. What comes out of the bell just needs to be loud enough. That can be accomplished with decent student trumpets. Nobody is judging the "beauty" of YOUR sound on the field. Just don't worry about it.

In the concert hall, small details play a bigger role. Again, if you are not WORLD CLASS, nobody at the receiving end is going to notice.

If you like that reversed leadpipe model, then buy it. If it is any consolation, Any of the "standard" pro C trumpets have that front leadpipe to bell brace just as far back, if not farther. The 1st trumpet players with symphony orchestra gigs are using those horns without any heartburn.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Have you tried any other horns than Bach. I really think you owe it to yourself to try other brands and then make a judgement. Many other makers make reverse leadpipes if that is what you really want.

Forte User

one of the best local trumpet players here in Indy does not check bore size, bell taper, lead pipe or any of the other things us equipment geeks worry about. He just picks up a horn and plays it, if it feels good and plays good [for him] than thats the horn he gets. All he really worries about is the build quality. When he bought his last new horn I asked him what bore size it was and he said he didn't know and didn't care. It played in tune with its self and sounded like he wanted it to and that was all he was concerned about. I wish that I could get in that frame of mind when checking out a horn.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Pianissimo User
    Clearwater, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mickley View Post
    one of the best local trumpet players here in Indy does not check bore size, bell taper, lead pipe or any of the other things us equipment geeks worry about. He just picks up a horn and plays it, if it feels good and plays good [for him] than thats the horn he gets...
    That's actually a really easy frame of mind to get into if you think (or don't think ) about it.

Conn-Selmer was at a grand re-opening of a local Sam Ash music store about a month ago. I got to try a few of the Bach Strads that the rep had there -- mostly ones like the 43 bell, for instance, that isn't regularly stocked for immediate buy.

Now, granted, I'm just working on getting my chops back from a few decades away, but I gravitated towards the standard rather than reverse of the Bach varieties on this build. As someone who still doesn't have a good level of control reigned in again yet I felt all across the board on the reverse lead, but could hit notes better on the regular old-fashioned one of the same type of horn.

I'm not sure I'm back to a level of playing where I can make too sound of a judgement for myself regarding these different type builds, but maybe I do like a bit more resistance or whatever the standard build gives. Heck I don't know, nor care really. If I pick up a new B flat here in the future going to go with the gut feel over any pre-concieved or not technical specs.

On a side note, I was playing a loaner picc back in college and the brace weld for the bell came off -- man that horn opened up, to my ears anyway. Could've lost all projection as a result but regardless went back for repair within the week as it was so fragile in that state. Oh well, off on a tangent again...

Thread Information