Trumpet Discussion Discuss Reynolds Tromhorn Ramblings in the General forums; An old friend from out of town paid me a visit this past weekend and brought his horn collection for ...
    Heart of Dixie

Reynolds Tromhorn Ramblings

An old friend from out of town paid me a visit this past weekend and brought his horn collection for me to see. He's primarily a baritone player, and has one (don't remember the brand), and also has an old King student trumpet, and a new aquisition, a Reynolds Contempora Tromhorn. It looks like an alto horn, but is pitched in Bb and sounds a lot like a trombone. His baritone mouthpiece fits it, too.

He doesn't live close enough to a city with a concert band or anything, so he just plays in his church. He played a few pieces on the baritone and tromhorn for me, and they were very nice - good tone, technique, and phrasing. He then played the trumpet, on a Bach 1C, to make the transition from baritone to trumpet a little easier he said. His tone was pretty bright and ragged, and he had trouble on the same high notes he'd just played so nicely on the other horns.

I dug out a couple of my trumpets and had him try them, but the results were about the same. I played His King trumpet, and it was an OK horn, too. I told him he needed a cornet , and let him try my "spare" Conn 5A Victor with a Getzen 4B mouthpiece. Man, what a difference! Beautiful tone and the high notes were much easier. He really liked it, and I told him to take it home a few months and play it. I explained to him that I had another one and was about to put this one on eBay anyway, so it needed a new home. If he likes it, it's his for nothing, but he doesn't know that yet (he'll have to buy a mouthpiece or use the Conn 4 that came with it, though - the 4B is on loan to me).

An interesting side note - he was commenting on how easily the Victor played, and I told him it had a huge bore, about .484. To illustrate, we pulled a slide from his King trumpet and put the end inside a slide receiver on the Conn. I could rattle it back & forth, with clear space all the way around. For comparison, I then pulled a slide from the Tromhorn and slid one end of the Conn slide in the Reynolds receiver and guess what? It was a perfect fit! That cornet has a small trombone-sized bore, which may make him more comfortable with it.

Just some ramblings from an enjoyable Saturday afternoon...
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Reynolds Tromhorn Ramblings

So what you're saying is that you "geeked out" for a few ours?! :)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Ya can't fix stupid!!!

1958 Mt. Vernon, NY Bach 37 Bb
    1973 Elkhart, IN Bach "72" Bb (It started life as a 37)
    1982 Elkhart, IN Bach 37 Bb
    1989 R. Lawler C1L
    Selmer Paris Bb/A Piccolo
    Jerome Callet Bb Flugel
    Slingerland F One-valve Bugel
    (Not 100% sure of the dates on these)
    1920 Conn Cornet (?)
    1925 King Trumpet (?)
    1947 Holton Collegiate Cornet (?)
    Conn Cavalier (Haven't found an accurate date yet)

Thread Information