Trumpet Discussion Discuss Richard Waddell on Motivation & Inspiration in the General forums; I believe in this wholeheartedly [TPIN] Motivation? Or is it Inspiration? [TPIN] INSPIRATION...
    Mezzo Forte User

Richard Waddell on Motivation & Inspiration

Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

Pianissimo User
    Upstate Ny

Re: Richard Waddell on Motivation & Inspiration

This is a great point, one that us young trumpeters need to realize. Sure you may be inspired by the greats (Méndez, Vizzutti, Armstrong and the rest), but if one is not motivated they will never achieve their potential. In my mind inpsiration simply gives you the idea, "Hey, that's neat. I want to able to do that." Your desires will stay simply desires without the motivation (Hey,I need to practice this measure 100 times.") It is quite easy to inspire, but quite diffucult to motivate someone to a point when they will do what is neccessary to succed.

I know from personal experiance that, for me, motivation must be constantly fueled. I have to keep listening to the masters, reading about technique, and basicly have substantial inspiration to remain motivated. The hard part is staying focused through the doubt that frequently comes. For that you have to just keep chugging along .
    There is nothing to it. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.

---Johann Sebastian Bach---

Pianissimo User
    western Wyoming

Bamajazzlady.... It is difficult to be motivated if you have not first been inspired; but I propose a third prerequisite for achievement in any endeavor: "perspiration." JA
    "The first 30 years you play a trumpet, you suck!" Chris Botti

And all these years I thought I was supposed to blow!!!

Fortissimo User
    Lloyd Harbor NY.

Ahh, would to God it were that simple.
    The path to the music room is littered with the wrecks of those who were inspired. Nay, even motivated until the realization of the effort involved proved too much. And sometimes, no amount of motivation and inspiration is enough to overcome either laziness or feelings of inadequacy when we hit a stumbling block.

Thread Information