Trumpet Discussion Discuss Robinson mute in the General forums; Hi Manny, This is probably a commonly asked question, but what exactly is a "sourdine robinson"? I've encountered it a ...

Robinson mute

Hi Manny,

This is probably a commonly asked question, but what exactly is a "sourdine robinson"? I've encountered it a few times, mostly in French music and most recently in a Tomasi's Semaine Sainte A Cuzco. Thanks!

Jimi

KMT
    Pianissimo User
    Ray Robinson made mutes long ago. Usually they are wanting the Robinson cup mute, which sounds very similar, just a little more mellow, to an H&B. If you look on ebay, there are usually Robinson straight and cup mutes available.

Here is one that sold recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ray-Robi...QQcmdZViewItem

Pianissimo User
    I bought an old RR cup a few years ago on Ebay and didn't care much for the feel or sound for that matter. The modern equivalent would be the Stonelined cup, but I much prefer a Trumcor Cup for the French pieces.

JU

I picked up a RR mute out of curiosity. The closest thing Stonelined makes today is the Mica-mute which is basically a felt lined cup mute. My poor old RR mute is falling apart so I use the Mica-mute instead.
    Bill S.- NY and Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets, Bach "C" cornet, NY Bach trombone 6vii, Schilke G and Yamaha Eb, Bb/A and flugelhorn. Warburton and Monette mouthpieces.

Thread Information