Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss "Rolling in the top lip" into the mouthpiece in the General forums; Unless there is a defined problem or deficiency, I'm always of mind of not tinkering with the setup (read: if ...

Re: "Rolling in the top lip" into the mouthpiece

Unless there is a defined problem or deficiency, I'm always of mind of not tinkering with the setup (read: if ain't broke, don't fix it).
    Endurance, tone, range,...unless they have something concrete, I highly recommend maintaining a good practice schedule and keep focused on your performances.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post
    You're from Detroit?

Who are your professors?
    Go see Chuck!! Don't do nuthin' 'til ya do! Some profs have strange ideas about embouchure, as in they all need to be the same. Knew a guy that was a really good jazz player in high school that went away to school and his prof told him his embouchure was WRONG and it MUST be changed. He couldn't make the change (sounded like a 6th grade beginner) and eventually dropped out of the music program and quit playing trumpet! TOTAL BS from his prof. You didn't post as to why they said you needed to change (is there a problem?). Unless they give you one heck of a good reason to switch, smile and play on.
    Solar Bell and mgcoleman like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Local 357 View Post
    The key ingredient to understanding this matter is the "why". Why do the poster's instructors insist he must use more upper lip in the mouthpiece?

However, I don't see why you couldn't experiment with just placing the mouthpiece a little higher and see what happens?

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Where is KT and his Asymmetric mouthpiece(s) on this/ I too have and can play an Asymmetric, but I'm not expecting everyone to, and what I've enhanced applies to the lip positioning. Succinctly, if it works for you however you do it, great and you've no rational to change it or see a self touted "Embouchure Doc" (As includes teachers in this tense). What I do theorize is that no part of the lip should enter the mpc cup as such diminishes the mpc optimum performance. I see players with very heavy lips, that if they didn't play in the pink, they'd almost choke on the roll of the pink of their lips inside their mouth ... that may be a bit of exaggeration, but it is only what emits from the bell that really matters.

Greensboro, NC

It sounds like the teachers said "you need to play this way" without any help with making the change. That's just bad teaching. Plus no consideration of the OP's up coming performance schedule. Did they tell you why you needed to make a change? Are you playing in the red on your top lip? What problems are you having if any? Did they say wait until you have a long break (summertime) to make this change. Are they going to lead you through this change? You can't be expected to do it on your own. I would never do that to a student. It's a sure recipe for failure. I wouldn't do it until you have some real answers and maybe a third opinion. You might not need to make a change.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information