Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The Room in the General forums; The best practise room is no room at all. I am originally from Cuba and the guys there love to ...
    Piano User
    The best practise room is no room at all. I am originally from Cuba and the guys there love to practise in open parks and stadiums. Arturo Sandoval used to do this religiously. There are countless guys that have Arturo's sound and power there and they credit a great deal to practising outside.

I used to practise in a farm under a Coconut tree in Cuba. Since moving to NYC I have had a difficult time finding the same practise situation!

Pianissimo User
    Fresno, California, USA
    When in college, I practiced outside two or three times a week (the rest of my practicing in the empty halls or practice rooms.) I loved the fresh air and the sound. It seemed different for me than a dead room. Anyway, I miss being able to do that.

Joe Lewis
    Horn: Flip Oakes Wild Thing American Long Cornet
    Mouthpiece: Monette B1-1

I do almost 100% of my practice in an echoey, concert-hall type living room with wood floors, so playing in practice rooms and shoeboxes is sometimes very akward.
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence." Leopold Stokowski

When I'm at I practice in my living room which is fairly large or my bedroom which is 15x12. At work I play in an unfinished room that is approximately 25 x 25. It has a concrete floor and unfinished ceiling and sheetrock walls. It's pretty loud. I work in the Semiconductor industry while I'm getting my degree. I'm known as the "trumpet guy". We might be the only wafer fab in the world that has Purcell Sonatas and Charlier etudes as elevator music .

Pianissimo User
    I practice in the largest room possible.

Normally this is the choir room; or a highschool gymnasium turned into a band room.

I pretty much loathe practice rooms.
    Yamaha Xeno Bb (YTR-8335GS) // Monette B2
    Yamaha Xeno C (YTR-8445S) // Monette C2

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Practice rooms

As a youngster I sat at the upright piano in our living room to practice because the music stand built into the piano was convenient and the resonance within the piano was fantastic. Later, in high school, I practiced in the school auditorium- GOOD acoustics, or at church in the main auditorium- large church,monstrous auditorium, seating over 1000. In the military at San Diego Naval Hospital I used the nearby base chapel for the majority of my practice. Now that I have comeback to the horn and because I am crippled up with advanced arthritis in my knees and hips, I find it easier to do my daily practices in my office,( converted bedroom in my home), It is the typical 9x12 room, so sound bounces arround pretty good. It works for me.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Philomath, Oregon

my practice room

I am pretty much confined to the back bathroom with both doors closed and with a cup mute in! But I am used to it and keep a full, open sound. Occasionally I pull out the mute to make sure my intonation is ok since the mute can change things a little. Another advantage is that the throne with the lid down (!) is just the right height & no slouching! Plus, it keeps the peace in the family. I mean, let's face it -- good trumpet practice routines are pretty awful to listen to. -Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information