Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Routines for Higher notes? in the General forums; I am looking for some ideas as to a good warm-up, practice, and warm-down that will help build my upper ...
    New Friend

Routines for Higher notes?

I am looking for some ideas as to a good warm-up, practice, and warm-down that will help build my upper register, I can currently play an E above the C above staff solid, but the F is squeaky. I have talked to a trumpet player names Jari Vallanueva, and he recommended Max Schlossberg's 'Daily Drills & Technical Studies for trumpet. I was also hoping for some other exercises that will build my upper register, yet help not affect my lower register.

P.S. Right now I am a freshman in high school if that makes a difference.

Bostonish & San Francisco

Re: Routines for Higher notes?

Practice (lots of it)
    schlossberg is a good book
    long tones can help
    caruso exercises

overall, range just eventually develops, The idea is to be able to play comfortably up there, so one thing that helped me was playing up there more (if you have the clarke technical exercises, play the high ones)
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

L.A./Orange County CA

James Stamp has expanded my range, but like any exercise, in order to get results you have to make sure you are doing it correctly. I used to play a lot of high note exercises but got nowhere. But with proper guidance, practice and knowledge I was able to overcome my range difficulties.
    Drake F. Peterson

The Cat Anderson Trumpet Method is available online as a PDF. You can print out the whole thing or individual sections. Emphasizes holding long notes, then arpeggios. Some of the exercises are playing the same note for minutes at a time.

Ken Saul has some interesting high note exercises at the Ultrapure Oils website:

There are not shortcuts. You've got to build up the muscles in the embochure.

One tip that does seem to be helping me. Work on your high range only every other day, give your muscles time to recoup. Practice everyday, but only do the high range stuff every other.

Good luck,
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Forte User

For what it's worth, I was able to break through a pretty significant plateau by using Clyde Hunt's Sail the Seven C's: Trumpet method book for high notes - book with CD bundle

It was a real eye-opener for me and introcuded me to the value of pedal tones for high note playing.

There are strong opinions on both sides of the material, so take it for what it's worth.

Baltimore, Md.

Trumpet Solfeggio, By John Blount......everything you need for low, middle, and high Range..
    Chas Colin publishing has it, or go to John's website. Top link below.

Selmer Claude Gordon Bb
    Greg Black JB-10 mouthpiece
    (designed by John Blount)

London UK

Maynard Fergerson said "my lip is no stronger than anyone elses, but the support I give it is as strong as you can get"
    Forget about conditioning your chops and work on the support. Check out Bobby Shew's website, and find out about the wedge breath technique. Providing your chops are getting all the usual work needed to develop them, then no study book will make a difference. If you're hitting an E then the F is just a semitone away, and the G just a tone, see what i'm saying, keep your apature open and up the air speed, not the air volume.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

How about getting a good private teacher, express your desires, and then do what they tell you? Nothing can replace the value of a good teacher, following their direction, and last but not least practice.

Levittown , NY

Believe it or not soft long tones and lip slurs will help the upper register develop, rest as long as you play, practice arpeggios up and down then go up and hold the top note ,alternate between the tongue one day and the slur the next, play melodies up to your top note then play it again up a 1/2 step all softly, the Clarke Technical studies are also excellent, work on breath support ,let your air do the work up there! Never practice until your lip is exhausted , that does more harm than good, as far as a warm downs go I don`t use them , you don`t need them, maybe just flap your lips a couple of times then put the horn away, if your lips are tired more playing isn`t going to help them , resting them will. Remember to play high you have to practice high just do it intelligently

If your E is solid, but the F is squeaky, you are playing with too much force. Range does not just stop when you have earned it, it just gets gradually thinner.

Depending on how much too much that is, it is possible that NO EXERCIZE will help without outside guidance.

I advocate practicing softly with VERY LOW LEVELS of testosterone. Long tones, lip slurs and Clarke Technical Studies up an octave are what I use - never louder than a soft piano. When I started really working on range over 30 years ago, it took a year to get a clean usable double C. Most of that work was done on the piccolo trumpet back then.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information