Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sales Commission in the General forums; NO ONE is TWO words... thanks. Wildman, I have had good luck by stating what other shops are advertising as ...

Re: Sales Commission

NO ONE is TWO words... thanks.

I have had good luck by stating what other shops are advertising as the sale price, then simply asking if they will match or beat that price.

If you really want a eye opening experience, try to find out what manufactures are selling the horns to the shops for. What is the "mark-up". You may be surprised to learn what that difference is.

As an example, in cycling shops make very little money on the mark-up of bikes. They make much more on the accessories (helmets, shoes, shorts etc.). And of course labor on repairs!

Let us know what happens when you go into the store and try to get your price.

Pianissimo User

It is difficult to know if you are getting ripped off or not. I don't mind spending a lot if I am getting real value for my dollar. For instance a pair of normal eyeglasses cost around 2 or 3 hundred dollars. A rip off. However I want to see well, so I pay (and complain about it). You have to have them, and they got you. I don't think there is much room for horn salesman to save you a pile of dough. Glasses cost perhaps 25 or 30 dollars to make and they sell for 300. I hope its not the same for horns.

Quote Originally Posted by max3k View Post

I would be much more willing to discount a horn to someone who is courteous and respectful.
    I would add to that...

"...and who I thought would come back and buy something else."

One thing I have learned about negotiations through my profesisonal career (most contract negotiations) is that you get what you give. If you try to be aggressive and push somebody, they will try to push back.

But if you try a more friendly approach...make it appear that you are trying to find a friendly will get farther faster.

The best scenario is to negotiate in a manner the results in the other person doing what you want...but thinking it is their idea. My wife is a MASTER at that!
    Dick Taylor
    Comeback Player
    Benge 65B

Forte User
    Indiana USA

Hi, Wildman,

When you seek to negotiate a price do remember that both sides must win something. You want the best price you can get. The salesperson has to receive something for his livelihood that he can live with. The store doesn't want to give the instrument away free. He needs you, his salesperson, and to retain a profit to stay open.

You want to get a fair price on your instrument and that is understandable. You are more likely to receive it by being pleasant to the store personnel. If it appears they don't want to deal, or the price seems outrageous, thank the persons involved and go elsewhere.

I believe there is nothing to be gained by thinking the salesperson is trying to overcharge you. Negotiate in good faith and assume he has to make a living, but he does not have to make it all on your sale and tell him so.

He will probably want to see you return for accessories which usually helps him financially, too.

Best wishes!

Last edited by lmf; 09-19-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information