Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Salt and Hydration in the General forums; Originally Posted by rowuk .....we need to achieve STABILITY to play consistently. This means that eating habits, drinking habits, exercize ...
    Lagos, Nigeria

Re: Salt and Hydration

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    .....we need to achieve STABILITY to play consistently. This means that eating habits, drinking habits, exercize and practice all become part of the big picture. If our life is erratic, we can draw on reserves only so long before it takes its toll. Playing better means decent energy management, fluid management, sleep management........ If we are serious about anything in life, we have to look at the big picture. Hydration and sodium have effects far beyond our playing........
    The older we get, the truer this becomes. I'm fortunate in being blessed with a robust constitution, but this part of the world wasn't called "White Man's Grave" for nothing so observing a healthy lifestyle is as important to me as most. It was all too easy to slip into the 'work hard, play hard' mentality, particularly in the mid-life crisis years, but sooner or later your body tells you enough is enough. My own particular wake up calls were DVT and mis-diagnosed typhoid - both diet and lifestyle related.

Four days into the typhoid, I got a sudden strong craving for sugar. I've never had a sweet tooth in adult life and after a bit of thought, I had one of those eureka moments: if my body needs something, it will try telling me.

The dehydration/heatstoke spiral strikes so quickly, you really don't want to let that get beyond the first prickly feeling at the back of your neck. The only sensible approach to this is prevention. And that means regular hydration and salt to replace the daily losses.

But much the same argument applies to all the main food groups and nutrients (especially vitamin C)

One of the best indicators is the first few seconds of my trumpet practise session. Not necessarily the sound that comes out, but more the overall feeling of comfort and well-being as I settle into the routine. If anything feels wrong, I'll run through a quick checklist of what I might have missed out of the preparation - bathroom stuff, tea, fruit breakfast etc etc. They're all part of the equation, and while you can miss out for a day or two on some of them, none of them can be neglected indefinitely.

And simply knowing that everything is in place diet wise helps greatly with that relaxed mindset. I just play better knowing the fridge is well stocked with home-made sauerkraut and pickled onions
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I doubt you could find much stability in Miles' life. I think "erratic lifestyle" was his middle name.
    As brilliant as he was, that instability was also very apparent in the physical part of his playing (especially towards the end). We can't separate body and soul, but they can be individually nurtured or destroyed.

Take Bud Herseth as the other side. Super stable life and VERY consistent results until well after retirement!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Forte User

Hi shooter,
    You stated:
    "I doubt you could find much stability in Miles' life. I think "erratic lifestyle" was his middle name."
    Oh my did you hit the nail on the head. As much of a genius as he was he was also a thief, pimp, junkie, coke head, spouse abuser(physical & mental), a pain in the ass to anyone in authority, all wrapped in a soft wheat burrito shell called highly insecure.
    I love Mile's music but it's a pity Clark Terry didn't beat him to an inch of his death for stealing his stuff.
    Great musician on many levels.....Horrible human being on many levels

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information