Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sandblasting Finish in the General forums; I don't know if this has already been addressed, I searched but didn't find anything pertinent. I am overhauling a ...
    Denton, TX

Sandblasting Finish

I don't know if this has already been addressed, I searched but didn't find anything pertinent.

I am overhauling a 1920s Bach Mercury Model from the original New York factory. I found it at a garage sale and got it cheap. It was in a sad shape. After much TLC I have it mostly back together with all original parts used. I am considering getting a sand blasted finish on it to take out some major scratches and hide the two major patches i put in the cracked bell.

I was wondering if anyone knew of the positives or negatives to sandblasting a horn let alone a horn that old (the SN is 468 >.<). I know a lot about repair, but not much about the effects of sandblasting.

Thanks much. I hope to have it done by the new year and have some pics up in the eye candy section.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: Sandblasting Finish

You mean bead blasting.

Sand blasting wil destroy your horn.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Denton, TX

Thank you! I wouldn't want to destroy this thing after bringing back from the edge.

So any pros cons that you know of?

The Wide Brown Land

It all depends on the finish you need - the aircraft industry has used glass bead blasting for years (essentially the little reflective beads that are mixed with paint and used for road lines) these are quite safe and are regularly used to blast corrosion out of aluminium (damage is possible if you are too heavy handed). More recently manufacturers like Boeing have been using pelletized dry ice - it removes paint without doing much further damage, or little plastic beads as an alternative - Google the Boeing website and look for the refurbishment of the old -80 B707 prototype.

Make no mistake - this is a mechanical blasting process designed to abrade, you will need to get someone who knows what they are doing - avoid the mates who say, "yep, I can do that for you - easilly". If you are in any doubt - DON'T - think what water-blasting is capable off, and there is no added abrasive. I would suggest an instrument repair tech would be a real good move.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

If you have made the effort to use all original parts in the restoration, you need to ask yourself if a bead-blasted finish is what you really want. I assume that you would the finished product to be as close to original as possible. I don't know what the original finish looked like but if the repairs are well done, it may be possible to go back to the original finish and still minimize the visual impact of the repairs. My experience is that a bead-blast satin finish or a scratched finish do not hide flaws - they enhance them and make them more obvious. If the original finish was polished, I think that would work better. There is something about the reflections caused by a polished surface that tend to make flaws less visible.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

A lot of people use baking soda or baby powder on instruments to give it the bead blasted finish. You shoot it out of an air gun and compressor.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Thread Information