Trumpet Discussion Discuss Scar Tissue on Chops in the General forums; I have one large scar on my lips that may or may not affect my trumpet playing. It starts almost ...
    New Friend
    Union Grove, Wisconsin

Scar Tissue on Chops

I have one large scar on my lips that may or may not affect my trumpet playing. It starts almost by my left nostril and continues to about a quarter inch below the middle of my bottom lip like this is in the mirror (\) n e ways apparenly when i was like 2 our family cat decided to take a mighty swipe at me for one reason or another and cut my lip up pretty bad. Now i can only feel it after a long time of playing just about when my chops are shot, i can feel the little bumps on my lips. I was wondering if any of you have scars on your chops from playing itself or from other things and if you think it hampers vibration or sound in any kind if way. Thanks
    UgHs Band!!

Phoenix, Az
    I seem to remember hearing a story concerning how Louis Maggio developed his method. Apparently, he suffered a lip injury so severe(something struck him in the face in a violent manner, although I can't recall the specifics) that it would have crippled anyone else's playing for the rest of their life. Instead, Maggio developed a unique style that allowed him to circumvent the damage the accident caused. In short, the lips are remarkable muscles; short of having them removed or damaged beyond all recognition, there is almost always a way to get back into the game. Check out the "Balanced Embouchure" forum on TrumpetHerald if you get a chance.
    Best Wishes,
    Why are we so obsessed with bore size? Are we trying to compensate for something?

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelyDan
    Check out the "Balanced Embouchure" forum on TrumpetHerald if you get a chance.
    I get somewhat bothered by people doing a blanket recommendation on something such as that.

There are many things that should be recommend before a self help book by some one that doesn’t even play trumpet for a living.

It doesn't take much to move the vibration point of the lip off of the scar.

Too many people think of the lips in 2 D.

They think they can ONLY get away from the scar by moving the mouthpiece. And often by a lot.

This is not true.

Normally the mouthpiece can maintain its position but the lips need to meet and vibrate at a different angle. Easy to do using a pucker ala Maggio or a curl ala Stevens.

Easy to move the vibration point NOT always easy to change embouchure and keep playing.

That is because old habits have to be broken so that the new embouchure can work. IE curl doesn't work if you use lots of mouthcorner tension or mpc pressure. So some who do these things will never be able to switch unless they completely break the habit.

New Expanded Range Arban at
    Plus my other books at
    Free Trumpet Ezine at

It is the Smart application of hard work that gets you there.

Thread Information