Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Scream Trumpet in the General forums; Originally Posted by Charlemagne Stupid question: What is a Double C? (starting at the bottom of a concert Bb scale) ...

Re: Scream Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    Stupid question:
    What is a Double C?
    (starting at the bottom of a concert Bb scale)
    c, d, e, f, g, a, b, c // d, e, f, g, a, b, [C] <---is that it?
    or is it the next C up from there?

Stupid question 2:
    What range is the trumpet in when it's "screaming?"
    screaming is when the trumpet itself, the trombone player in front of the trumpet, the entire sax section in front of the trombones and the first couple of rows of audience beg for mercy due to the penetrating high notes.

There is no specific range definitions as some players have a low C that qualifies!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Luverne, MN

I recommend the Louis Maggio System for Brass. What do people think about that system?
    James J.
    1971 Getzen Eterna Severinsen 909G
    1972 Bach Stradivarius
    Harry Pedler Art Trumpet
    20th Century Trumpet

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Hi, jsimpher!

Funk is a lot of fun, but it can beat up the chops a bit; four sets shouldn't cost more than two hours of chop time, however. The best funk and lead players have a solid double g for all the sets, and like rowuk said, let the microphone do the work. If you have monitors, let yourself be cranked up. Don't be suprised when the sound man reports the "wall of sound" kind of compliment after a set even when it didn't feel that way.

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Deep in the heart of TX

I bought the Screamin' DVD - my reason - I'm trying to rebuild my embouchure (have always played by pulling the lips tight - so no real endurance - and pitiful range) - and I find this DVD helpful on that path to rebuilding - good solid advice from Bill Carmicheal as to his approach to embouchure.

Have I gotten all the way through the DVD - no - but then I haven't been so diligent about practicing either......

While I find the DVD ok for where I'm at - I'd agree with the other folks - spending your money for face time with someone with the rep of Jim Manley is the best way to go. (I should do as I say....but not ready to waste a teacher's time til I'm really ready to commit back to the horn.).

Good luck to reaching those soaring heights.

Now pardon me while I try to find where in the heck I filed that DVD.....
    Kanstul 1525 Flugel
    Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Z Flugel
    1967 Getzen Eterna (my 2nd - still going strong after all these years)
    1961 Olds Special (my 1st...battered, bruised, & passed around but back home)

Sweet, Thanks for the advice.

Clarksville, Tennessee, U

Brad Wilcox is right. You have a chance to study with several really great teachers. Jim Manley Bob Ceccarini are wonderful teachers. I studied for several years with Bob. Bach then he was teaching an approach that was a combination of Gordon and Caruso. Jim Manley is one of the most talented scream trumpet artists in the world. If I still lived in St. Louis, I'd definitely be taking advantage of that.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

New Friend

Hey man thanks for responding to my post. My current range is about around a Double B/C. When I played more I would get to a Double E on a good day. Theres a pretty good trick to be able to get ther but

WARNING: I mean this, its very important you understand this before using this trick....Its called the pencil trick it will build your emboucer and allow you to play higher but the problem ive had with it is playing a higher note does not give you the ability to use it...for instance you can get to a double c and if the only way you can play it is going up a scale then theres no use in playing that double c. If you cant get to the point of picking up your trumpet and belting out a double c or using it in a song then you havent really accomplished the real goal. So this will get your embocure where it needs to be, but your going to have to practice a lot in the upper register to use it properly. One other thing before i give you the trick description. This trick will basically alllow you to play the note not help you play the correct note, by that i mean in that register all the notes have open as an alternate and this trick will not teach you the lip positioning you need to play the correct note it will just simply build your embocure so you can play the note.

Pencil Trick: Take a unsharpened pencil and stick the eraser end between your lips not in between your teeth. hold it as long as you can using just your lips at a 45 degree angle. Screaming trumpet players get up to 5 min. When you start youll be able to hold it for 30 sec. and you keep doing it and slowly increase the time. dont try to take this too fast. You should feel a burn in the corners of your mouth. It took me about 2 weeks to build to 2 min. Im at 2 min. I see no reason to go beyond that yet, because I cant use that range ive acquired in my music fully yet.

There is also the alternative of using a different mouth piece. Shallow mouth pieces help range but take away your tone as well as your ability to put air through the horn. I currently play on a bach 1 D megatone. The 1 means its diamater is large, the d means its slightly shallower then the standard c cup, and the megatone means its got added weight for a darker tone. This is definatly the mouth piece for me with the biggest problem im having on it is the rim is thin so it takes away my endurance but at the same time helps build it. The trumpet player of streetlight manafesto and subarban legands play on a 14a4a by yamaha it helps them on range a lot but i feel as though there tone is way too bright and crappy. but thats an opinion thing. You can research mouthpieces a little more to find a good one for you. shallow means higher but restricts air and gives you a worse tone well at least in my opinion. Maynard Fergueson use to play on a custom monette 3 which was a very very shallow mouth piece.

Hope this helps,
    Good Luck
    Last edited by slice723; 08-16-2008 at 12:59 AM.

I've actually been working on that one for awhile. Your also right. The problem is I can hit a high G (8va above the stave), Then there is a hole for about an octave and I can hit a double A-C. Only problem is that they are not consistent and sometimes sound really weak.

After all of this advise I am just going to increase my practice regiment and see what happens.

Levittown , NY

Find a local player teacher who can play in the upper range and study with him.

that too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information