Trumpet Discussion Discuss "Screamin" vs "SuperChops"?! in the General forums; Dear all - first post. I'm a "comeback" trumpeter - mostly into Jazz. Now I've been away from playing for ...
    New Friend

Red face "Screamin" vs "SuperChops"?!

Dear all - first post.

I'm a "comeback" trumpeter - mostly into Jazz.

Now I've been away from playing for a long time, and wish to start up "properly"!

I have some experience with "SuperChops" - it seems to work very well - but I had some minor questionmarks. Can't go see Jerome Callet in person... Though I Spoke to him once - very knowledgeable chap.

Anyhow, surfing away I found "Screamin" - some method on DVD that from the brief description seems to be very similar to SuperChops. It really must be since both methods try to emulate the "style & technique" of Harry James.

Still, anybody with actual experience of these both methods that can chime in with some advice?

My question on the Superchops method is essentially:
    Should the corners of the mouth be "locked" - it seems from pictures of Harry James and Jerome Callet playing that there is NO movement of the corners of the mouth. Watching closely the fine clips with NickyD playing (Nick Drozdoff :: Home) it seems he also plays this way (or in a similar manner).

The Superchops method involves:
    Mostly movement of the lower lip upwards with a nice fleshy cushion of muscle coming up towards the mouthpice.

Any good suggestion as to how this can be implemented well? It seems that when I play - my initial setup breaks down with my left mouthcorner moving away a bit upwards - thus rendring me with a rather asymmetrical posture.

Re: "Screamin" vs "SuperChops"?!

3 lead players that frequent TM and immediately come to mind are Nick Drozdoff, Bob Odneal and Eric Veldkamp. PM them - They can get you pointed in a good direction in any case. Bob Odneal also has a tried and proven method called Casual Double C.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend
    Vancouver, BC

Re: "Screamin" vs "SuperChops"?!

I too am a comback player and have been using Bob Odneal's method with some fairly significant results in a fairly short time and plan on continuing for the forseeable future as it is very easy to incorporate into a daily routine. Bob is very helpful as well.

Thread Information