Trumpet Discussion Discuss Seattle area Teachers in the General forums; While I have made much progress in the last year of my comeback. There are several (ok all) aspects of ...
    New Friend

Seattle area Teachers

While I have made much progress in the last year of my comeback. There are several (ok all) aspects of my playing that would probably benefit from a good teacher.

Does anyone know of any good teachers in greater Seattle area?

Gary

Teacher-Seattle

Gary...
    My long time friend....the late Roy Cummings of the U of W. was so much help to soooooooo many when it came to improving trumpet and jazz studies.

www.trumpetguild.org/news/news00/cummings.htm (to the memory of one of our finest.
    He is soooooooooo missed by so many but another gift was that Roy took part in the lives of so many trumpet players all over the N/W. He had a wealth of connections. I miss his energy and passion for anything that had to do with the trumpet or for music.

Now we have another gift in our world....

Call Vern Sielert at the U of W. 206 543-1189
    or e mail him at [email protected]

visit his web address at:
    http://www.music.washington.edu/facu..._bio.php?ID=61

I would bet Vern could give you a good teacher...especially the kind a come-back player needs, that will go straight to the issues that you need.

www.seeleymusic.com and check with Kevin: He hangs with some really steller musicans and Kevin plays with the Emerald City Jazz Orchesta...speaking of orchestras that are truly world class.

good luck in your quest..

Pianissimo User
    Here are some others you may want to contact or ask about:
    Brad Allison, Paul Baron and for jazz playing/improvisation Jay Thomas. Check out: www.jaythomasjazz.com
    Hope this helps as well...... 8)

JAY THOMAS...

Jazzbro...Thanks for the Jay's link:
    I see that he has now made himself available for indiviual lessons?
    It would be harder to top that? According to Marvin Stamm, Jay has amazing teaching skills. Not alway great players are great teachers...but with Jay Thomas...YOU HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!

New Friend
    Thanks

Pianissimo User
    Jay is awesome......
    I did a gig with Jay with a quintet not too long ago and let me tell you, he is amazing. I mean, his sax playing is the finest thing that you have ever heard. He never plays anything unless it has musical purpose. He never just rattles off "licks" to impress anyone.......his musicianship takes care of that!! He has the warmest sound on trumpet and when he plays his Couesnon flugel....ohhh man.
    Check out Floyd Standifer as well is Seattle. UNREAL!!! 8)
    Jay is an awesome teacher. He is involved in many clinics and such in the Seattle area and he really understands how to teach in a very effective manner with music being the ultimate goal. He also happens to be the nicest, coolest person that you could ever hang out with. He has the greatest stories to tell and the funniest stories as well.
    Check out his site and download some tunes, it is worth the wait for the download.

Thread Information