Trumpet Discussion Discuss Seeking advice! in the General forums; Hello, I'm a high school marching band member, and I was wondering if anyone had any professional advice on playing. ...
    New Friend

Exclamation Seeking advice!

I'm a high school marching band member, and I was wondering if anyone had any professional advice on playing. I have learned all basic fingerings on both octave 1 and 2 (all sharps and flats included).

I've been inspired by other trumpet players for a long time. I've been pusing myself to play at least 4 hours a week, taking several breaks.

As I kept going throughout my months, it was a challenge to play on the second octave for a long time. But I've been practicing so much everyday in the past, I just can't leave the trumpet alone.

Now that I'm in high school, I'm just not sure that I'm using the best techniques. My usual routine is lip sluring. Are there better methods of developing lip muscle? What other exercises am I leaving out?
    Last edited by derrick3197; 01-16-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Seeking advice!

Welcome to TM, derrick3197!

Maybe the best thing you can do is to practice very softly, to balance out your marching experience.

Sometimes I've even had my students avoid the tongue for a whole week, articulating with a "puh" atack. They hated me for the first few days, then stopped hating me, then really liked me at the end of that week.

Your best bet, of course, is to find a good teacher....
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

it sounds like you need a good teacher to lead you through some of the well-known trumpet methods. practicing right takes care of most issues, so you don't need to worry if your lips are strongest enough per se. if you have no money for lessons, perhaps buying Arban's method and a guide book to go with it would be a good start.

Greensboro, NC

If you are really serious you should take lessons from thebest teacher you can find.No internet advice can take the place of a teacher who can teach you an efficient way to play. You will make the most progress with someone who can show you how it's done. You allready have the passion.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

It sounds like you are dedicated and motivated. I'll join the chorus: get a good teacher. The act of preparing assignments for regular lessons and having the critical ear of a teacher you trust is invaluable. Tell us (approximately) where you live and I'm sure you will get some good recommendations for a teacher.

Thread Information