Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Seen this one Manny? in the General forums; Originally Posted by Manny Laureano You should have heard them today... they were awesome. Composer Steve Paulus dropped by unexpectedly ...
    Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico

Re: Seen this one Manny?

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano View Post
    You should have heard them today... they were awesome. Composer Steve Paulus dropped by unexpectedly to check them out. I introduced them to him and said "Would you like to hear them play the 'Danse Sacrale'?" he smiled and said "Sure...."

I turned to them and said "Well, let's go." They played with an accuracy and fury with which I've never heard them launch into a piece before. It was stunning. They were hungry and wanted to show off... they were amazing.

It made me think of a post I once saw on TH several years ago that chided a report about a High School youth orchestra director for programming Pictures at an Exhibition, saying it was too much to ask of young trumpeters. Rubbish. We played it last year and now this Stravinsky. They did beautifully.

Young people are capable of much and it's a pity they aren't challenged to do more. They have a resiliency that is inspiring and a desire to learn that is unquenchable. I wish you could all be there Feb. 11 to hear these young artists. You would be proud of them, as proud as I am.

I have always found that if you expect kids to be excellent, they will be. If you think they can't be excellent, they won't be. Expectations are crucial. Aim for the stars. I am always hoping that my students will be better than me, and I let them know I expect it. One of my kids after a gig in November when someone expressed surprise that the ensemble was composed of students asked me, "Are students supposed to be bad?" I said no, those who express surprise have limited imaginations.

Michael McLaughlin

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.
    Ambrose Bierce
    Morelia MM

Utimate User

So, yesterday (Saturday), the boss came in to work with the kids for over an hour and a half on the Rite. They were so pumped and ready for him it was hard to get the smile off my face, I was so happy and proud of them.

It gave me a rare opportunity to sit back and listen to them while Osmo put them through the paces. He kept asking for more and they kept up with him every step of the way. I had had an hour with them before he showed up to prep them a bit more, getting them ready for this tempo or that dynamic and they responded by giving him what he wanted. You could tell that they were proud every time he told them they had done well.

At the end he told them how surprised he was at their ability level. He truly didn't expect them to have it as well under control as they did. That's a really good thing for a guy in his position to have a positive impression of young musicians at the high school level. When he goes back to Finland or elsewhere abroad, he's going to be able to say, when asked about the state of young musicians, that they're doing well. That here in America we also "get it".

I'm very proud of those kids. They did themselves and the program honor with their behavior and attitude. Some of them were scared witless but Osmo isn't that kind of guy. He's a worker but always honest and warm. He's not a browbeater and just out for himself. He's a well-intentioned person. Besides, any heavy duty maestro type that will give up a Saturday morning to work with High Schoolers is okay in my book.

Hope you guys in town can come check it out. It's on Feb. 11 at 6:30. Four groups are playing and it's a good chance to look at the organization overall. The show is at Orchestra Hall.

Casper, WY

How Neat Manny!

A real labor of love that's well worth all the effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information