Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss To sell or not to sell... in the General forums; I am having quite the dilemma and I'm hoping you folks can help me with some perspective. Some parts of ...
    Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

To sell or not to sell...

I am having quite the dilemma and I'm hoping you folks can help me with some perspective. Some parts of this post will look like an ad, but trust me, that was not my intention. I will also be asking for selling advice.

I have a small accumulation of trumpets. Aside from a Holton 48 Deluxe (made in Wisconsin, like me!), they are all Buescher trumpets. I play most of them, and have sold off most of the ones I ended up not playing.

I have two Lightweight 400s: a 1950 Model 228 and a 1955 Model 217. Both have been restored by Charlie Melk and they both sound terrific.

The Model 228, like the rest of my trumpets, has a middle-of-the-road blow and resistance. The Model 217, however, like the Model 215 Custom Built before it, blows open. Very open. Swirling Vortex of Doom open.

I've finally found a mouthpiece I can use to tame that openness, an Al Cass reissue 3X1-28. But I'm a community band player, so more resistance is better for me, so I mostly use the Model 228 with an Al Cass reissue 1-28.

So nowadays I don't much play the Model 217.

But I like it. I'm trying to come up with excuses to play it. It's rare as hell and I spent a buttload of money getting it restored.

But I don't much play it.

I'm seriously considering trying to sell this horn. I'd have to sell it for a lot. Some people want really open horns. Think Selmer Claude Gordon. Think Flip Oakes Wild Thing. This horn plays more open than those do. I'd even considered changing the mouthpipe at one point to add some resistance. But the stunning rarity of it always held me back.

I'm not going to lose anything if I sell this horn, right? Some player who loves the big, open horns will get more out of it than me, right? I shouldn't feel bad about embracing my Model 228 and sending this horn on to someone who will like it as much as I do?

Here's the advice part. The price will have to be north of $1000. I have a correct case. I can clean up a correct mouthpiece enough to include. Clearly I need a bunch of pictures. I think I'll probably have to allow a return, since it's so rare and unusual. It's not just another Bach. I'm thinking it would probably help to get a pro player or two to play it and then record them. Would that help you decide if you wanted it?

Let me know what you think, I need help deciding!

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Amador County, Calif.

Re: To sell or not to sell...

Don't sell it. I've regretted selling almost all of my rare horns. I did it because they brought the most money and that gave me what I needed to buy something else. But I miss all but one. The Benge 3X from the early 70's. Don't miss that one at all. Record yourself with your horns. See if you like the sound. You will never find one again if you let it go. You can always sell it when you are so old, you are no longer playing anything.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Richard III AKA Crusty Curmudgeon

Adams F1 Flugelhorn
    Curry FLM, FL, FLD and Flip Oakes Extreme
    York Eminence and Conn 80A Cornets
    1947 H. N. White "The Cleveland." trumpet

E.Panhandle WV

Well, without claiming wisdom, nor being so in sync with your position that I merit the stance to try and sway you'...... I can simply answer what I would do.

My collection has outgrown me by leaps and bounds. What started as an initial purchase of a trumpet to engage in my 'comeback', (actually a King Master Cornet), I've since purchased through every means available, over 70 horns. Of these a little over 3 dozen are Holton trumpets and cornets. Despite the numbers there are only 15 horns in fine condition with the remainder, for the most part very nice, but not of show condition. Two or three parts horns not counted in figures.

I am over explaining my situation so that you might get an insight as to where my head is. I believe if I was in your place, and hadn't over collected as I have, I would dip my toe in the water and see what response I got from the group of people that consider you to be the authority on Buescher trumpets/horns. As you just have.

If I'd decided that I wasn't now, and likely would not be keeping the horn for play, Id ask myself why, except to do better financially with it later than now, should I keep it? I'd wait and see if I found a buyer simply by making mention of it as you have and sell it if I found one. However , if I didn't , I'd put it up for sale in a straight forward way on the trumpet forums and perhaps commissioning it out. I would be bypassing eBay all together.

One thing I would not do is to further discuss the dilemma within the TM and the like once this first sincere gesture to the community plays out. Unfortunately it may be perceived in a way that is detrimental to your standing as THE BUESCHER MAN . Just my opinion and certainly not my feelings nor attitude toward your honest and direct effort to seek others' opinions. I wish you the best in any direction you choose.

Vancouver, Canada

As an 'accumulator' of horns myself I can relate.
    It now seems that horns seem to find me these days, and I can only fit so much in my place of dwelling. (until I work up to a full store space that is)

My vote would be not to sell unless you a) have a need to free up space/your investment and b) you find someone who will appreciate it just as much.

I find having several examples (in my case Martin trumpets) on hand is helpful for comparing, writing blogs and answering questions for others so they don't necessarily have to follow the same path that I did.
    Owner/Operator -

• Couesnon Flugel
    • Martin Handcraft Imperial Large Bore M Bell
    • Martin Handcraft Imperial XL Bore 1937
    • Martin Handcraft Committee #2 Bb Trumpet
    • Martin Committee Deluxe C Trumpet
    • Martin Custom Committee D/Eb Trumpet
    • Schilke Handcraft HC2 Bb Trumpet

Tuckahoe, NY

Don't sell it.
    Unless you really really really really really are strapped for cash, then, sell something else.
    You can see they joy you get from it, even unplayed, in your writing.
    I had so many things that I have regretted selling, not from an accumulation standpoint, but from a 5, 10, even 20 years later I wish I had them.
    I already have horns I look at and think I should sell because they don't get the play time they deserve...but I made myself a rule, when i bought certain ones, that they would stay forever at this point.
    I still to this day miss the Cannondale mountain bike i had just after college in the 90s. It was, in my opinion, perfect. I recently got back into biking, bought an inferior bike and all the trimmings (again) when I had a perfectly good one that could have been taken out and enjoyed...25 years later.
    It will be there if your interests, tastes change, and after a while, hopefully a LONG while, it might mean a great deal to a family member when you are gone.
    I know things are not supposed to be so meaningful...but who's kidding who.
    I have some items from my great-grandparents, grand parents and parents that I cherish.
    $1100-$1500 will get spent on this and that, and will vanish before you know it.

Little Horns
    Jupiter 416 Pocket Trumpet
    2013 Corneta Traspositor C/Db
    '32 Conn 40B Vocabell
    '32 Selmer Louis Armstrong Special
    '50 Blessing Super Artist

Bigger Horns
    2009 Phaeton Flugelhorn

Pianissimo User

i have been very fortunate to purchase quite a few trumpets from professional trumpet players that i work with and admire. they were always being practical, and either looking for something else or upgrading to something newer. in the case of friends who were switching to monette trumpets when dave was here in the 80's, they needed the cash. every single one of them came back to me later and said they wish they hadn't sold their horn to me, even if they were happy and playing on the new one. i've never sold a horn myself, and sometimes i think about it, but that experience tells me something.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Forte User

FWIW - There are several horns I seriously regret selling, as I cannot replace them, and I wish I still had them. On the other hand, I never bought a horn that I regretted having purchased.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

I've got two that I sold and wish I hadn't. My Reynolds Argenta that I played in High School, and the LB Bach Strad that life forced me to sell. I think I'll go with the "keep it" crowd on this one
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Ontario, Canada

One of my favorite lessons, shared with me when I was "collecting" guitars.

Someone told Chet Atkins,
    "Man, that guitar sure sounds good!"
    Chet set the guitar down on a chair and asked him, "Ok, how does it sound now?"

Great Southern Land

Quote Originally Posted by RonD View Post
    One of my favorite lessons, shared with me when I was "collecting" guitars.

Someone told Chet Atkins,
    "Man, that guitar sure sounds good!"
    Chet set the guitar down on a chair and asked him, "Ok, how does it sound now?"
    Very good, but I suggest that even I could pluck a string on a good guitar and like the sound. Would somebody who had never played a brass or wind instrument be more likely or less likely to get a pleasing sound from a good trumpet? That anecdote would be even stronger if it were about, say, Chris Botti and his Committee.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information