Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A serious trumpet in the General forums; I completely agree with Robin. Play as many as possible. In addition to hitting the music stores in your area, ...
    Mezzo Piano User
    Houston, TX

Re: A serious trumpet

I completely agree with Robin. Play as many as possible. In addition to hitting the music stores in your area, I would also suggest the local pawn shops. In the last year, I have found a Getzen Eterna, Getzen Shepard's crook and a Callet in pawn shops and paid lesss than $1,000 for all three combined, to include repairs needed. Good luck in your search!
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Longview, TX

... Good advise... let me elaborate on the situation a little furthur. I sold my Bach Omega (which I wasn't totally happy with when comparing to others I've had the opportunity to play) as well as my Stomvi Flugel to put a DOWN PAYMENT on my wifes wedding ring. The ring is now paid for but I find myself missing my horns tremendously. I have been playing for about fifteen years and I can't and won't stop now!! So I wanted to get a trumpet for general playing and start my collection later. I have tried the Xeno and of chorus several different strads, as well as kanstul marachi and chicago horns and I like them all. My question was related more to trumpet stats, bore sizes, lead pipes, one piece and two piece bells, etc. How much difference DO the specs make? I have found the mouthpiece that works for me, I just need my trumpet.
    I will take your advise and play as many as I can, but if you had no trumpet and went for a significant amount of time without playing, your passion would cause you to be an impulsive shopper. This is my biggest fear because whatever I get, I will be thrilled to be playing again but I don't want to settle for something less than the best (... and I know... the best is one persons opinion and I will get a number of different suggestions as I already have.)
    I do appreciate everyones input and look forward to more

Thanks, Daniel
    Last edited by blu_knote; 04-03-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: grammar

Casper, WY

With a new wifey, Congrats!, renting for a bit isn't the craziest thing in the world.

The manufacturers publish the specs because it helps them sell trumpets. Also, if one gets all gearheaded-up, it's fun to know more and more.

Brutal truth is sound trumps everything. And I wish there were a straight line joining specs and sound for all players. But what fun would that be?

Your question, "how much difference do the specs make?" is a good one. I don't know "the" answer. "An answer" is not as much they have interested me. Good ears go a long way coupled with patient investigation. Heck, the good ears don't even have to be ours.

Forte User

All that I can add is to PLAY the horn and forget the specs. I went from a very nice .462 to a C7 which is a step bore with no acclimation period at all. I played a friends large bore and it felt stuffy to me, I have tried numerous Shew horns [both 6's and 8's] and they are way to stuffy FOR ME. We all play differently and just because someone else says a horn is open and free blowing doesn't mean it will be open for you. My wife and I both play and we have only agreed on one horn and we can't play on each other's mouthpiece. So all the advice that I can give is to take your mouthpiece, a tuner and a friend [ to listen in front of the horn] and try all the horns you can. Try several of the same horns, we both liked the Yamaha Mike Vax and the shop had 3 of them but only one played to our liking so she left with a new horn. Yamaha is known for its consistancy but in this case all three horns played differently. So play-play-play until you find the horn that is right for YOU. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Norfolk, VA

With no horn at all, there are so many options...personally, though, if I were in your shoes I'd either rent something acceptable for a little while, or even better - grab yourself something that works from a pawn shop to practice on while you shop. Then take your time, and PLAY EVERYTHING! I always play everything I can get my hands on whether I'm in the market for a new horn or not. Not only does that let you make the most informed choice for your own horn, but it also lets you help others with your perceptions of the horns you've played. Besides, it's just plain fun! You're right, though- if you don't have an interim horn, than you're going to be impulsive and grab the first thing you like, when you may end up liking lots of horns for lots of reasons before you find *yours*! The right one always speaks to you, though - if you played it 2 months ago and can't stop thinking about it, try it again because it's probably the right one!
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

New Friend

I have not posted before so this is just a toe in the water. About what trumpet is best:Over a great many years I have played a Conn Coprion which I traded to a pawn shop for a much-patched Besson Meha which I finally traded for a better Besson which I had siver plated and then traded in for a Yamaha which I then sold for a customized modular Edwards and now I play a custom made(?) horn made Bob de Nicola. That is a history of 60 years. I like small bands, even duos with guitar. I love the sound of a good cornet - I have a beautiful Besson Meha and a good playing Buescher. I think you can make yourself crazy chasing the perfect horn and the perfect mouthpiece. Like most players I collected a ton of mouthpieces which I have now given away. Except for a Bach 7 trumpet and 7c cornet mp. I read somewhere that some British symphony player said that Americans worry too much about mp's. Could be. The fact is that we all know that playing a horn is just about the hardest thing there is to do and only a very few get really good at it.There are so many horns made now that you can spend a lifetime trying them all.And chasing the perfect horn.

dubuque iowa

Its all way too subjective to get specific advice on line. Common thread from all the posts above is to make an informed decision based on experience. After a while you wont be wooed by a shiny bell and you will get a definite feel for what you like. The right trumpet will find you and just like the perfect wife, you will know when your search is over, she will tell you.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Mezzo Forte User

I would take one horn of decent quality over half a dozen horns that aren't too different.

The real key is how long can you delay gratification?

Cary NC

I like the comments here. I agree with trying out the horn in a concert
    The key is an open space ( preferably enclosed ). Bring a friend with a good ear and/or record what you play somewhere near the middle of the room. Try different things with each trumpet like quick little runs...holding long tones with vibrato...bending the note..sliding from D TO B to get a feel for " slotting ". Same mouthpiece to check out range of the horn ( C down to low F#....then G and up as high as it goes ) a great horn will sound strong low and high. I played a Schilke B6 in 1973 High School...then used it in The Coast Guard Band. I loved that horn and pawned it for 200 after my first divorce. There are Schilke's out there for $1000 to $1500 used in great condition. I play a '49 Martin Committee Deluxe that I absolutely LOVE ( it cost me $247 including repairs..really!! ) I can nail Ave Maria effortlessly with the Committee ( Schilke 13A4A mouthpiece ). One more thing. I don't know if it's the mouthpiece or the horn, but I bought the 1941 Conn 22B New York Symphony with an old as dirt Rudy Muck 19C mouthpiece. I'm gonna have the Stuck Rudy Muck removed and put in my Committee.
    I met Chris Botti for the second time last Saturday Night after his Richmond concert. He checked out my Committee and liked the feel and valves...then asked me where I wanted him to sign it. I think my $247 Committe is worth more now. Check out a few from the 30's 40's 50's era ( Conn, King, Olds ). You can pick them up pretty cheap at $500 or less. Play your style of music...not what others need you to play. Good Luck. Chuck Cox. [email protected]

One trumpet to do it all? Schilke S32 or S42.

Seriously, play some Schilkes. It is my opinion that given what they are - handmade trumpets made to the highest standards of excellence - that Schilkes are overlooked, underrated instruments, which might have something to do with the fact that they aren't the next new thing. Some of the designs have been in production, basically unchanged for decades - some of them nearly 50 years. They don't need to change. They were done right the first time.

The S series of Schilkes were introduced after Renold's passing, so I don't know how involved he was in their development prior to his passing in 1982, but at the same time, there are enough artists who use them to convince me that they are worth looking into if you want a horn that will do everything. It's my understanding that while Schilke has never openly admitted it, the S series was developed to be more "Bachish" in sound characteristics, but retaining the same superior blow and intonation characteristic of the lighter weight Schilke models.

If I ever get to Jonesing for a new trumpet, the S32 is going to be my first stop.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information