Trumpet Discussion Discuss In shame... in the General forums; With the utmost shame and humiliation, I must admit that I have never and do not currently own a single ...

In shame...

With the utmost shame and humiliation, I must admit that I have never and do not currently own a single Louis Armstrong recording.

HELP!!!!!!!! I recognize he is the father of jazz trumpet and one of the "founding fathers" of jazz period, so I feel so freakin' lame for not owning one of his recordings!

Which one(s) should I get?

Humbly,
    -Kevin

In shame...

For shame, for shame

Your punishment shall be that you are banished to the Zeus forum forever with no hope of getting out

Seth Moore
    "To crush your enemies, have them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women" - Conan

Piano User
    louis armstrong's greatest hits can be had most places at a discounted price.

also get armstrong and ellington.

that's all the pops you really need.
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Fortissimo User
    If'n I can toss in a word here: Naxos has a Jazz label. On that label they have a CD of Louis' music titled "Heebie Jeebies". This CD is an incredible collection of his 1925 to 1930 recordings with some pretty neat noise reduction and stuff.

Naxos is a really great label that has avoided the tendency to "jack the price to what the market will bear"...most of their stuff sells for under $10!

Look for their number 8.120541.

Play list includes:
    Cornet Chop Suey
    West End Blues
    Heebie Jeebies
    Potato Head Blues
    No
    Gut Bucket Blues
    Knockin' A Jug
    S.O.L. Blues
    Weather Bird
    Save It Pretty Mama
    Fireworks
    A Monday Date
    Struttin' With Some Barbecue
    Squeeze Me
    Willie the Weeper
    Sweethearts On Parade
    Muggles
    Hear Me Talkin' To Ya?

NO sampling of Pops' music would be complete with some of his early stuff and this is IT! Too often we get caught up in "what we remember" (especially some of his recent film work..."What a Wonderful World" and his collaborations with Ella Fitzgerald).

OH...while you're cruising the Naxos Jazz Legends list http://www.naxos.com/NewDesign/fjazz..._legends_s.htm take a look at some of their other stuff. They have got quite an interesting collection of material and it's all first class.

Did I fail to mention that they even have two volumes of Beiderbecke? Silly me. You'll have to dig the rest out for yourself.

New Friend
    It feels great to make my first post on this site a recommendation for a Louis Armstrong recording. My favorite Louis recording would have to be the one entitled “Ambassador Sach”. Originally a vinyl LP, the recording is now available on CD. The tracks are drawn from several European tour concert dates recorded sometime during the mid-1950s and shows Louis at his absolute peak as a trumpet player. If you want to hear Louis with steel chops this is the one to get.
    Larry

I great one to get is the Best of the Hot 5's and Hot 7's. It's early stuff but great. If you can find them there are two seperate albums one called the Hto 5's the other called the Hot 7's. the best of is just a selection from both.
    ---Brian P. Vessey---
    Horn: Calichhio 1s7 Ultra; Large Bore
    Mouthpiece: Out on Safari

Thread Information