Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Should I challenge the higher up chairs again? in the General forums; litia725, obviously you think you should challenge again (you gave multiple reasons why you should, but haven't mentioned any reasons ...
    New York

Re: Should I challenge the higher up chairs again?

litia725, obviously you think you should challenge again (you gave multiple reasons why you should, but haven't mentioned any reasons you shouldn't), but I'm inclined to agree the posts above me.

It also sounds like you're comparing your playing to everyone else in your section. I find when I do that, my attention is taken off of my playing. Definitely, look to other players to see what they're doing right....heck, maybe you can learn from them! But, the only person you should worry about playing better than, is you yesterday. If you work to make sure you improve something every time you pick up the horn, then you're influencing the only thing you have any control of once auditions come around again.

So again, I'd follow the advice in the couple of posts above this. Be the best darn 3rd chair anyone's seen.

Huntsville, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    Remember this: There is always someone better than you. The better you become as a player the more you realize how bad you suck.
    I think that is the most important lesson you can learn from all this
    CuriousMe likes this.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Gainesville, FL

My opinion? Young students often use chairs as a way to compare themselves to other players. Consider how your playing has improved instead, and how it can be better, not whether you're better than another. That seems to have better results, to me.

Of course, you love increasing in chair placement --- it's a way of marking progress. But don't strive to be first chair; be ambitious to be BETTER.
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

There are many reasons in life that we don't get what we want. In the case of an ensemble, I don't want the most technically proficient student on first chair, unless they have the maturity to LEAD the section too. Playing first is not getting all of the solos, it is having an ear open for the rest of the section, asking the questions that the shy ones playing third don't. It is getting the section to play together.
    Your post seems to imply that your goal is not section, rather just beating the rest. That is a pretty good reason to NOT move you up.

That being said, if what you posted is true, you have to build people skills before you will have a chance. Try helping out the weaker players, try to make the BAND better instead of a pedestal for yourself. You are not ENTITLED to anything, but those that have a groups best interest at heart get the best opportunities.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Forte User

I would use 3rd chair to your advantage. Use the lower register work as exercise to keep your chops supple...and practice the demanding stuff you want at home.

I never understood what 1st chair...second chair stuff made a difference. I played 3rd for years...I hated it. The notes were so low and boring. But we added to the core of the sound. Even though I was 3rd I played with the best quality tone. The first chair kids all cheated with shallow cup mouthpieces and sounded bright and spitty. Eventually I got to first chair but I earned it.

It's far too early to consider what chair you play to mean anything. If you are going to pursue your musical studies other instructors will notice you. Obviously the teacher has a preference...maybe it's personal...maybe it's not.

Don't let it get to your head...How many 3rd trumpets are in your group? In my group there were only 3 out of a big 30 piece group. Our notes were easy to play but if your timing was off we were noticed.

Oh yeah..I mean I played 3rd trumpet...not chair...but I did work myself up to "first chair"

It's all nonsense. Just kick butt...I don't recommend challenging the person. Talk to your teacher privately and tell them how you feel. Chances are they will know how to handle it...Maybe you will get a satisfactory reason why your not numero uno.

I'd drown your sorrows with a purchase of a gold plated Monette Mouthpiece...chicks dig e'm!

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

My freshman year in HS, I was offered a first book. I didn't take it because I respected the senior's enough to not knock one down just because I could, plus, I was still learning the ropes. the next year I was first chair first , and held it until I graduated. Sometimes, patience is a virtue and it doesn't make you seem a diva to the other players.........Buck
    Joe44 and jiarby like this.
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

Ummmmmm, guys? I am pretty sure she means 3rd chair, 1st trumpet. As in she is still plays 1st trumpet parts but she is 3rd chair. She just wants to look better, not get a different part. I minght be wrong, but there is usually more than 3 trumpets in a middle school band.

We had to challenge for chairs in our high school, I sat 1st chair 1st from my sophomore year on. Did it upset the juniors and seniors, yes, did it make them work harder and ultimately improve the band, yes.
    Did I get challenged a lot, yes, and it made me keep practicing to be at my best, (plus Dad and Brother were trumpet players). Did we all still get along well, yes. There are too many people that just expect things to be handed to them without doing the work. That’s how it is today in most HS bands, no challenging, the teacher picks who sits where. It doesn’t promote practice. If little bobby’s mom or dad complains enough, then Bobby sits first….that’s BS. Never stop challenging, make them work for it. You did to get where your at, should you be penalized for working hard ?
    tobylou8 likes this.

Some directors are idiots. I got challenged on the last day of school in the 8th grade! Everyone went to high school next year so what was the point? She didn't like my tilted bell (she thought it not appropriate for jr. hs. )! So if the challenge has a point , go for it.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

We had an audition at the very beginning of the yet, so no choosing. :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information