Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss should I take the chance? in the General forums; Hi everyone So our University band this year is very slim pickin' in the brass dept. We now have a ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

should I take the chance?

Hi everyone

So our University band this year is very slim pickin' in the brass dept. We now have a full trumpet section but are missing out on the low brass. I was approched by the director to see if I wanted to play euphonium (treble clef)

Is it healthy for my chops to take a 2.5 hour reh on euph once a week? I am not interested in persuing euph, it is trumpet all the way for me. I am actually the better of the few trumpets we have here at school. But there is noone available to play euph and with me out of the section there is still a full trumpet section of at least four.

i wasn't even going to join this year cause I never get anything out of it (in regards to musical enlightenment) I just didn't want the new director to have a miserable time (she seems very nice) (Jana Starling - clarinet - if any one has heard of her - Eastman trained)

Anyway, just wondering what the euph would do to me if I took on the job

thanks for the advice
    Eric Sproul
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Eric

In my opinion, if you are not going to pursue euphonium, why run the risk of ruining your chops on such a big mouthpiece?
    You don't say how long you have been playing, but I would be very careful wary of changing.
    I have played over 40 years and dabbled a while with my dad's valve trombone which he doulbed on with no problem. For me though there was a problem in switching.
    I would stay with and become the best I could be on the trumpet.

I also have NO regard for music teachers that ask a person to change so that their emsemble will sound better. I say teach what you have and develope the student on his instrument. It's about the student, not the teacher's next program. (end of rant)
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User
    I would not do it!!! tell them to find someone else.

Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal
    In one of the bands I work with, we had a young cornet player who was doing ok. She had braces put on and swapped to euphonium - doing very well. When her braces came off she asked my advice and I told her that she would make a good euph player or a reasonable trumpeter. Her teacher was encouraging her back to cornet/trumpet. She followed his advice. Well, she then failed to get into the band on trumpet. Her Mum was not happy with this fact (she was a member on euph, so why not on trumpet), but it was simple - her euphonium playing was better than her trumpet playing. She has since given up playing both instruments. A great shame, she would have made a very good euphonium player.

A good friend of mine started on trumpet and was asked whether she might be interested in playing euphonium "to help the band out." She took up the offer, enjoyed playing the euph more than the trumpet and hasn't looked back - she plays in a top level brass band and did her music degree majoring in euph performance.

My old stand partner (on trumpet) swapped to euphonium when he left university. The local brass band had no spaces for cornet, yet did for euph. When a cornet space came up, he auditioned for that, won the sea and swapped back with no harm done.

The reason for these stories - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you may prefer the switch - there is only one person who can make the call, and that isn't the TM masses, it's you.

Personally, if I were running the band, I would be talking to the trombonists about the possibility of doubling - after all, they may well be expected to do so in the real world.

Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't do it. I'd just stick to playing trumpet - his problem of not having low brass really shouldn't be your problem.

Let's put it this way - if the band did have a decent low brass section, would you even for one moment entertain the idea of switching or doubling?

While some might say that "taking one for the team" is showing initiative and a positive attitude toward the betterment of the whole, if you show promise as a trumpet player and there is even a slight chance that this endeavor could hinder your trumpet playing, then maybe you should steer clear of it.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Utimate User
    I say, go for it... you're only young once and it may prove to be an interesting, educational experience. Their will be zero lasting effects after you've fullfilled your obligation.

How clear is the sound of the trumpet in your head and how important is it to the production of your sound on a daily basis? If it's strong , you'll never lose it. If you're a chop guy then it may not be a good idea.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    For my $.02, don't do it. She can get the part covered by a synthesized sound as well, in the worst case scenario. Or the tenor sax or bass clarinet. Point is, there are options.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Piano User
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have found that playing euph helps the chops. I use it in my practice routine (when I can get ahold of one). I say go for it. Won't hurt you, and it's kinda fun.
    Jonathan Wright

Mezzo Piano User
    I played Euph. in a band in college for a semester, while I was playing principal trumpet in the Wind Ens. Worked for me and helped me with my legit sound. It depends on what you want to do.

As far as switching for the bands sake, If you havent taught you dont know how things work. If the band does not have the proper instrumentation how can you play quality music and give the kids a good experience. I am sure that swithcing trumpets to Euph. is not the only way to do this, but I have successfully switched many a kid to a "better" instrument choice.

Well, At least we arent debating marching band anymore.......

Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I seriously doubt that playing the bigger mouthpiece will hurt you embouchure. It has been my experience that it helps trumpet embouchures. I personally play trombone with my beginner classes and with my jazz band. It has helped me quite a bit. More open sound, better high range. Sometimes I have a student who is having trouble with their trumpet embouchure to the point that they are poor players despite being hard workers. I encourage them to play a year of euphonium. Usually at first they don't want to, but they almost always succeed on the euph, and after a while of playing it, they become successful on the trumpet as well. Many of them like the euph so much they don't want to switch back.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information