Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sight Reading in the General forums; As someone who is working on becoming a better sight reader (I'm ok, but when I get to fast licks ...

Sight Reading

As someone who is working on becoming a better sight reader (I'm ok, but when I get to fast licks my brain goes fizzle), and I actually learned some new tricks yesterday from my teacher - read the pattern, not the notes. For example, you can think of each different measure like a chord with some passing tones (that was news to me, I never even thought of it like that).

For those of you who are monster sight readers, and can read anything put in front of you, are there any other ways you read the music that's in front of you other than note by note? Just curious how everyone else does it.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

Re: Sight Reading

The key to great sight reading is paying your dues - scales (even the weird ones!) and intervals!
    They give you the basic building blocks from which most music is composed.
    Those blocks put patterns of movement into your head - so that you simply regurgitate the necessary patterns. Every once in a while, you will come across a tough passage, that you will just have to practice.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Metro Detroit

Well said Robin as usual; that's exactly what I was thinking.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Tempe, Arizona

In addition to paying your dues with scale and interval practice, the other pieces of the puzzle related to great sight reading include immediate pattern identification (rhythm) and internal pulse.

I really like the book by Robert Starer called Rhythmic Training. I discovered this book many years after I graduated from college and worked through the first chapter (assuring that could “tap” through the first 15 exercises with no errors). When I found out that Michael Sachs used this book regularly in college I decided that I would put this on my list of summer practice.

This book is like doing homework. If you spend time with the book (away from the horn, really concentrating on learning the material), the knowledge that you are putting in your head will simply be there for you to draw on when you are in a sight reading situation.

Here’s a post with some details on how I’ve used the book in the past.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Derek Reaban; 05-08-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Roanoke Virginia

Also like you practices scales to become better at them, practice sight reading. I did that before my all district auditions last year and I felt much better than I did this year when I didn't practice sight reading as much. Look at it as music that you play in band. Also there is a section in the arbans book that is very good I don't have it on me because I'm at school but it has the scales in all different keys and rhythms I'll look it up when I get home ha ha but it's very good for sight reading along with the art of phrasing studies and duets.

Trumpets kick brASS

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico

The only way that I have found to become a better reader is to read new stuff all the time. We tend to work the same things over and over. Grab some different things, a clarinet book, or violin book, and see how far you can get without stopping. Remember, if you've seen it before it's not sight-reading.

Michael McLaughlin
    Morelia MM

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I think, but it is not proven because it seems to sneak in, but learning to transpose might speed up that patterning process a great deal.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Casper, WY

Great thread Annie and wonderful posts by all. I'm watching avidly. My reading plods unfortunately.

All the Best,

charlotte nc

Rhythms are especially key to good sight reading. I would even suggest you find a percussion or drum method book and practice out of that. Sit with a metronome...and play the rhythms on a drone note (like 2nd line "G")...or, of course, clap your hands! Whatever you'd like...mix it up.

My dad started me on drums in the 4th grade for the express purpose of learning and recognizing rhythms. When I later switched to trumpet... I was well ahead of the curve. This early training (and continued rhythmic training throughout my career) helped tremendously.

Best of success to you...
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox96 View Post
    Sit with a metronome...
    Really good point. It's suprising how much a metronome can actually do to help you not only sight read, but also keep your pulse while playing and recognise rhythms easier because you always feel the beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information