Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sigmund Herring? in the General forums; I have a few of the etude books written by Mr. Herring. He put out many studies but I hardly ...
    Piano User

Sigmund Herring?

I have a few of the etude books written by Mr. Herring.

He put out many studies but I hardly hear his name mentioned on these forums.

I have a book by Bill Knevitt in which he advocates using these studies as endurance studies by repeating the 8 bar sections many times.

Has anyone on this forum ever studied with Mr. Herring or someone who studied with him? What was his teaching style? Any particular recomendations on how to get the most out of the books? His books really do not have any suggestions on how to best use them.

Utimate User
    ( Cue Flintstones music)

W-i-i-i-i-lme-r-r-r-r !!!

Help is on the way

Piano User
    great books! least they helped me!

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    Mr Hering was a music teacher. I studied with Sigmund Hering during my high school years.

All his students worked from his books. He used etude books to develop the student's trumpet skills.

Mr Hering's students were well schooled in transposition, sight-reading and orchestral repertoire. I played thru Clarke and Schlossberg with Mr Hering.

Sigmund Hering was a gifted musician. He graduated Curtis with Majors in Trumpet and Double Bass. He was a skilled pianist. He accompanied me in the Haydn and many other works.

I played some of Mr Hering's books before the reached the publisher, Carl Fischer.

Mr Hering never played at lessons.

Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Pianissimo User
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I own several Herring's Etude books. I started playing Herring's etudes many years ago, when I was in about the 7th grade. I've played in them ever since. They are technically beneficial, musically pleasing, and just plain fun to play. I used to assign them to my students years ago also. They are excellent for teaching someone how to phrase a technical passage so that it becomes music instead of merely notes.

I don't know why they do not receive more mention. Maybe it's because the subject just hasn't come up before. I can't believe that most trumpet players haven't come across them some where down the road.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?

Lebanon, TN
    Actually, there have been posts here over Hering's Studies. In fact, it was because of here that I purchased Hering's Progressive and Advanced Etudes over the summer. Great stuff, teaches you to "Make Technical sound Lyrical," or make music out of fast passages like Still trying said. It also takes the player throughout the register, really good stuff..

New Friend

I use Sigmund Herring's 32 etudes. My teacher basically uses this to teach me to play technical passages and to get tone at its best and articulating evenly. I've only worked my way through 1/3 of the book! It's starting to get difficult though! Its helped me lots. None of my school music is technically difficult anymore.

Blaine, ME
    I hope I am remembering correctly but I seem to remember he has a book for people just starting out. I really like his etude books and was wondering if anyone knew how this book was. If so, how is it set-up and what kind of things does he have in it. Thanks!!
    Adam Metzler

Thread Information