Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Manny Laureano
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Silent Brass in the General forums; I just recently moved into an apt and I have found trouble sticking to my normal practice routine. I usually ...
    Pianissimo User Principaltrumpet's Avatar
    north texas

Silent Brass

I just recently moved into an apt and I have found trouble sticking to my normal practice routine. I usually practice once really early (6am) and throughout the day then once realy late (12am or so). I purchased a silent brass to be able to use so I do not disturb others, but I keep having images in my head of a recital I was playing the arutunian in and I was last on an hour recital. I was afraid I would get cold so I stayed in the dressing room with a silent brass and tried to keep my self warm. When I walked on stage I played so horribly I litteraly cried as I turned around to walk off. I guess my question is this...does the back pressure caused when using a silent brass make it a poor choice to use when practicing? If so, what are some other options you might suggest?

Yamaha "Chicago" C
    Yamaha "New York" Bb
    Blessing Eb/D
    Yamaha 6810S Picc
    Bach 2C

Joshua C. Ritchie

Mezzo Piano User
    Ft. Worth, TX

Re: Silent Brass

I have that same question, myself. I like to practice at night too, and with my mom right across the hall, I sometimes need to use it...but I also feel like it gives me problems. Any other solutions out there for the 'silent' type mutes?

Bb-Garry Stoner beadless copper custom Bb-serial 12.16.85.
    Monette XLT B2S3, Monette MFIII

You don't use people to make music--you use music to make people.

Forte User

I have a silent brass that I purchased when they first came out and only used it a couple of times because of the back pressure. A good player told me the way to practice in an apartment is to open the door of your closet and play into your winter coat - no back pressure and it is quiet enough that it doesn't bother the other people. It worked. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Utimate User

I feel bad about your experience. This is why many of us who have addressed this topic of the Silent Brass have admonished you all to take care and not use it as you did. There's a recent thread about this.

That having been said, I want you to know I did something in my youth that might put your experience in perspective. I had the opportunity to audition for the Dallas Symphony 2nd trumpet position and crashed and burned. Why? Because I spent the evening before playing into a Shastock Whispa mute, something I'd never, ever done before. I split a bunch of notes and it may have cost me a good job early in my career.

But, had I gotten that job, I wouldn't have finished up at Juilliard, I wouldn't have gone on tour with Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, not gotten married to my wife and probably not auditioned for Seattle. I would have had a whole different set of experiences, true. Things happen for a reason but it's hard to see that when you're going through a regrettable experience.

So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again fresh with a lesson learned. I never made that mistake again and neither will you.

Be well,

Tjnaples likes this.

Thread Information