Trumpet Discussion Discuss Silver Vs. Lacquer? in the General forums; I am looking for a trumpet for my 14 year old son. Can anyone tell me if there is a ...
    New Friend

Silver Vs. Lacquer?

I am looking for a trumpet for my 14 year old son. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in tone or tone quality between silver and lacquer or is it only aesthetics?

New Friend
    IMHO there is little if any sonic difference between silver and laquer finished instruments. You make a far bigger difference to the sound of an instrument with your mouthpiece choice.

Go for silver plate for the durability of the finish. Lacquer will wear.

On a student instrument, laquer is normally not used. It is more of a baked on epoxy, very durable. It needs less attention than silver.
    On professional instruments there are very heated arguements. If we use Bach instruments as an example, I think the inconsistency of the instruments is greater than the difference between the finishes. I think Yamaha(much more consistent) silver instruments sound more "brilliant" than the laquered ones.
    Some professionals say it makes no difference - you sound like you regardless what you play(I disagree with this view or we have a different meaning for "sound").
    For a beginner, a student horn with "epoxy/laquer" finish is just fine. Silver is more expensive and the resale value of student horns is not all that great. Make sure someone qualified tries the instrument before laying out cash. A 14 year old deserves the best start he can get!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User
    Kids prefer silver because "it's in", so get silver.

All my trumpets are lacquer and my cornet and flugel are silver. Each was purchased because I liked the way it responded and sounded.

Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Re: Silver Vs. Lacquer?

For a beginner you should not get silver as they require much careful handling and so much care > >
    Bach Stradivarius Bb 37
    Bach TR300 Bb
    King 602 Bb

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ

For a student just learning, it really won't make much of a difference in sound...

Go with what ever he likes better.

Silver will take a litle bit more care, but if he really likes it, then he'll probably want to keep really good care of it.
    -David Jacques

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!

Ditto trumpetblower's post. It (silver) might even keep him enthused enough to practice more!

Oh, that was post #4,000. Whew... and to think I even got the Christmas tree set up today!

Utimate User

Laquer is a cheaper option for a student who may decide he doesn't want to play a year from now.

I don't know any professional trumpeters that play with laquer on their horns. All the ones I know play with gold plate, silver plate, or raw brass. Most of the trombonists I know play with laquer, however, and a scant few have silver on their horns. Horn players are a mixed bag, like trumpeters, and you're likely to find lacquer as much as anything else. Make side-by-side comparisons in a larger room (if possible) and that's the best way to go.

Thread Information