Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The single best trumpet advise ever! in the General forums; How about if it's framed this way - if you're at the top, you can be an a$$hole and get ...

Re: The single best trumpet advise ever!

How about if it's framed this way - if you're at the top, you can be an a$$hole and get away with it. Otherwise, you will lose work to hose who aren't a$$holes. A competent player who gets along with others, and who others like to be with, will work.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by fraserhutch View Post
    How about if it's framed this way - if you're at the top, you can be an a$$hole and get away with it. Otherwise, you will lose work to hose who aren't a$$holes. A competent player who gets along with others, and who others like to be with, will work.
    Over a playing career that spanned about 40 years I have dealt with all kinds of personalities. Some pretty unpleasant people got a lot of gigs because they knew when to turn on the charm. A lot of really fine players got ridden like dogs by these same folks sitting in the section. Playing music for money is a rough game. Nice guys don't always finish last but jerks do not necessarily get penalized for abominable manners. I don't play out much anymore because I don't enjoy dealing with cheap shots from players who think that putting someone down is the way to bolster their act. A long time ago (in the 70's) a Cellist in the New York Phil described the games and backbiting and ego projection that took place in her section. For some unfortunate reason playing beautiful music, for the most part, is not a beautiful profession. If I were asked for advice, which I rarely am, I would suggest that players find a niche that they love and develop an ensemble where they control personnel.
    T. Mac

"Music is a funny thing when you really come to think about it." M. Davis

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mac View Post
    Over a playing career that spanned about 40 years I have dealt with all kinds of personalities. Some pretty unpleasant people got a lot of gigs because they knew when to turn on the charm. A lot of really fine players got ridden like dogs by these same folks sitting in the section. Playing music for money is a rough game. Nice guys don't always finish last but jerks do not necessarily get penalized for abominable manners. I don't play out much anymore because I don't enjoy dealing with cheap shots from players who think that putting someone down is the way to bolster their act. A long time ago (in the 70's) a Cellist in the New York Phil described the games and backbiting and ego projection that took place in her section. For some unfortunate reason playing beautiful music, for the most part, is not a beautiful profession. If I were asked for advice, which I rarely am, I would suggest that players find a niche that they love and develop an ensemble where they control personnel.
    I wish that I could say that I have never seen a negative side to more than one musician. But that stuff goes on in all trades. I think most musicians are a cut above the general public in their relationships with other players. When something bad surfaces it is usually caused by hard times money wise. And some suffer more than others. The black folks that brought jazz to life led difficult lives as a rule. And more than one had issues with dope or booze but in general they were wonderful guys. When one considers the nonsense that someone like Louis Armstrong had to put up with it is a wonder that he was such a polite and friendly old fellow instead of a man seeking revenge. The trick is to take history and put it to use and try to make sure that musicians who want to play are helped along rather than beaten down as they often were in the past.

Think about music, not just the trumpet-and practice, practice, practice!
    Bill Ortiz
    '56 Martin Committee Deluxe
    '54 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Marcinkiewicz Vermeer Trumpet
    Couesnon Paris Flugelhorn
    Bob Reeves Mouthpiece Sleeves/PVA
    facebook.com/billortizmusic
    twitter.com/billortizmusic

Piano User

glorybe, how right you are about those old church halls. My sound was never better.
    Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen Model
    Bach 3C

New Friend

something that was just posted in another thread..

Quote Originally Posted by gbdeamer View Post
    Life and trumpet playing are marathons, not sprints.

New Friend

12 pages have been filled with some great advice, but I feel no matter what, just enjoy it. Have fun. Play because it is fun. Practice because it is fun. It is so easy to get caught up in the technical, or the financial aspect. But why did we all start playing, or start playing again, or buy numerous horns? Why? We LOVE it. So love playing, enjoy it.
    John Visser

-1923 Buescher True Tone Model 10

The best piece of advice ever?

Probably "rest as much as you play" when you practice! Since that advice it seems I was able to progress much faster... it's only been three months, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haste2 View Post

Probably "rest as much as you play" when you practice! Since that advice it seems I was able to progress much faster... it's only been three months, though.
    I'm gonna second that. Especially on trumpet it seems like it's so easy to overdo practicing (I'm still an 8 month newbie). Kinda similar is don't play too loud when practicing. This one surprised me, seeing pp so much in the method books, 'cause you very often hear trumpets being played LOUD during performances (marching, big bands, etc.).
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

MVF
    Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste2 View Post

Works for me too- but then I always knew I was lazy!

Actually, I have a bit of trouble with this one. Whenever things are going well I tend to keep playing until they aren't- then I rest.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread Information