Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The single best trumpet advise ever! in the General forums; Mine came from a former 1st trumpet for the old Disney Orchestra, Bob Fleming: As a pro, people are paying ...
    Pianissimo User
    Osaka, Japan

Re: The single best trumpet advise ever!

Mine came from a former 1st trumpet for the old Disney Orchestra, Bob Fleming: As a pro, people are paying you to make music, so be consistent; always ready to play your best no matter how you may be feeling that day.

Pianissimo User

Another thing Dr. Allison would have his students do was keep a practice journal. This had quite a few benefits.

I think it works best if you have an end goal, i.e. a recital, performance, or just a piece of music you'd like to get under your belt. Once you have the goal in mind, you would complete an outline of all the material you need to cover to reach that goal. This would be at the beginning of a particular section of your journal. This could be looked at as a not-so-set-in-stone calendar of all the items you need to practice to reach your goal. Once you have that, you schedule your daily practice session. This would consist of first looking at the overall outline and seeing what is next on the list of things that need practiced. For the daily entry, you would outline the items you were going to cover, including your warm ups, the sections of music you need to work on, and cool downs with space between each item. Each item would include tempos, dynamics, etc. In the space after each item, you would write down comments on how you felt, items that you're having problems with, how it sounded to you overall, and any questions you might have for your teacher. Writing these comments also works great for forcing you to rest. At the end of the practice, you go back to the outline and "check off" what you have worked on.

The journal allowed me to make sure I got through all the material I would need to in order to perform my best. It was a record of what I worked on, where I was having problems, and how things were progressing. It also forced me to structure my practice sessions, which made them fairly efficient and very productive.

Last edited by Shermy; 01-17-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Hi Shermy should we apply Arnold Jacobs statement "Strength is my enemy, weakness is my friend" to our playing?

We'll make that another thread on my forum so as not to distract from this one.

New York, NY, USA

The best advice I've ever heard was used as a farewell after each lesson:

"Straight Ahead." - Dennis Schneider
    “This art is acquired only by laborious studies, for the rebellious nature of the instrument demands a great aptitude coupled with a persevering willingness to become a master of it.” – F.G.A. Dauverné (1857)

Piano User

"Make certain that your 100% is so good that your 70% won't get you fired!"
    My favorite Lloyd Geisler quote!
    Roy Griffin

Play easy exercises from the Arban's. Helped my endurance, range, tone, everything.
    Bach Stradivarius 180/37
    Bach 1.5C

"I built my staccato like the piano; low register with the warmth of the cello; lyrical melodies like the violin; running notes like the clarinet" - Maurice André

There's an old Jazz player in Sydney who used to show young players a crumpled up newpaper article (the origin of which I am not sure of). I was about how lots of High Note players were dropping dead from anuerisms. He used to say "So Sonny. Don't try to play high. Most people are pretty bad at it anyway. Get a nice sound and you'll last in this industry". I think there is merit in this. How many young players do you hear trying to push their range with little regard for their sound.

New Friend

I still remember seeing this on a sign in a high school band room, probably 10 years ago on a run-out with my school orchestra:

"Just remember that someone, somewhere, is practicing more than you."

Another quote from a friend in undergrad (after I was complaining about chop problems):

"Put the piece of metal up to your face and blow."

This was good advice for me at the time and is great advice now as a full time orchestra player. It makes absolutely no difference how you feel, those people out there paid good money to hear you play well, if not perfectly. I feel like one of the marks of a professional is making it work when your chops feel horrible.

Just some food for thought...

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico

Best advice? "Breath!""Sing!" "Aim to the end of the phrase."

Michael McLaughlin
    Morelia MM

Heart of Dixie

I play in a brass band that was guest conducted by James Watson and accompanied Phil Smith on a solo, and then accompanied Phil and James on a duet. During rehearsal, Mr. Watson made two very simple, but very important comments. First, "play the dynamics". Second, "hold the notes their full values". Pretty basic stuff, but it's surprising how easy it is to get away from these fundamentals if you're not careful, and how much better a piece sounds when you execute them. Then, as Mr. Smith was rehearsing his solo with us (a technically simple, melodic piece), he made a statement to the effect of "a melodic piece played from the heart, with great feeling, will touch an audience more than a technical tour de force" (my paraphrase). How true that is, and he proved it that night. It was a memorable experience to meet, play with, and be instructed by these two greats.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information