Trumpet Discussion Discuss Single tonguing speed ? in the General forums; what tempo should i set my goal to tongue 16ths single tonguing ? and with staccatos...
    New Friend

Single tonguing speed ?

what tempo should i set my goal to tongue 16ths single tonguing ?
    and with staccatos

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Re: Single tonguing speed ?

It's a work in progress (hopefully) but right now I do a decent job on the 2nd Clarke study, with no more than 4 # or bs in the signature, at 120. I'm just an amateur, back in the groove since last August.

So I'd say 120 would be a good goal to start with. I know that when I have them all (including that darn low B natural) sounding good at that speed in single tounguing, I will definitely concentrate on double tonguing. Dunno if it will ever happen though.

As always, you should go by your sensations. I was told it should go like this:
    Try out some relatively difficult successions of fingerings, single tongue as fast as you can and note where the quality of the articulation starts to degrade. Get a good 15 to 20 beats below that and practice for absolute perfection. When you have it, increase the speed a whole bunch, up to 10 beats/min. Where the flaws will happen is where you need more work. Go back to the slow speed and insist on these areas of uneasiness until they are just as easy as the rest. In theory, when that happen you should be able to speed up your single tonguing to a point that's almost ridiculous. Or so I heard

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

It is different for many players depending on what they play.

What I have discovered for the type of playing that I do: up to 144 beats for single tonguing and down to 100 beats for double tonguing. Then there is a safety overlap.

If I did not practice the single tongue with fast 16ths for a couple of days, the 144 beats goes away and I needed a week or so to get it back. Now that I am over 50, I seem to need more time to get things back. My solution is increase the scope of my daily routine so that I do not lose anything.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

Quote Originally Posted by JD_93 View Post
    what tempo should i set my goal to tongue 16ths single tonguing ?
    and with staccatos
    Why put a limit on how your single tongue speed? When I was first learning the trumpet, I didn't know there was such a thing as double or triple tonguing, so in my innocent thinking, I thought the people I heard on recordings were just single tonguing very fast. I would play along trying to keep up. I eventually did. When I went to a state college as an incoming freshman, and played some Arban's theme and variations and characteristic studies for my new trumpet prof., he said I had one of the cleanest double tongues he ever heard. When I told him I was single tonguing he said he knew players who could tongue that fast , but not with the endurance to play page after page up to tempo. My point is the skies the limit , don't stop when you reach a certain speed ,keep going , like Robin pointed out ,it's best to have an overlap of speed between single , double , and triple tonging.

New Friend

I believe you need to have as fast a single tongue as possible. I couldn't double tongue well until I started college. I managed to make all-state all four years in HS, but it was frustrating to say the least. I did wind up with a very fast single tongue though. I can make it to 165 or so with sustained sixteenths.

I try to get my students to work to get a good overlap between their fastest single tongue speed and their slowest double tongue speed. The speed does go away if you stop practicing though. Just add some single-tongued double tongue studies to your daily practice routine, and always practice them with the metronome.
    Find the best deals on Trumpets at Trumpet Finder

Mezzo Forte User

Faster than you double toungue!

Thread Information