Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Single tonguing and when to double tongue in the General forums; I haven't posted my introduction yet, but I plan on it. I've been playing after a 20+ year layoff, and ...
    Pianissimo User

Single tonguing and when to double tongue

I haven't posted my introduction yet, but I plan on it. I've been playing after a 20+ year layoff, and tonguing turned out to be one of the harder things to recover (It's okay now). I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that having worked on it for a few days in a row I can maybe single tongue faster than back in my playing days. Of course then I went to work on double tonguing, and have that nearly ironed out. My question is: at what point do you decide to switch from single tonguing to double tonguing? Only when you can't single tongue the passage fast enough? What if you can comfortably play it either way? I had always assumed that you single tongue it if you can.

Pianissimo User

Re: Single tonguing and when to double tongue

Personally I almost always will single tongue until it is getting so fast that single tonguing is uncomfortable at which point I will double tongue. I say almost always because phrasing will sometimes dictate otherwise. Triple tonguing on the other had has more to do with the feel of the music (triple vs duple) than of the speed, and since I can't triple tongue as fast as I can double, I will often cheat so to speak and double tongue but alternate the accent. As for improving your double tonging, one of my favorite exercises is to play major and minor scales while tonguing with a k (or g sound if you prefer) with a metronome and gradually increasing the speed. Then play the same exercise while double tonguing. Then I will play interval scales doing the same thing (K sound only and then double tongue). What I mean by interval scales would be (example with a C major scale) C, D, C, E, C, F, C, G, C, A, C, B, C, C, C, B, C, A, C, G.......... etc..... You can do this with any scale in any mode.......... But alway use a metronome......
    I used to play a Jet-Tone, but now I've gone Bach,

Trumpet - Benge (MLP bore)
    Flugelhorn - Schilke 1040
    Bass - Ibanez SR755

Heart of Dixie

Single tongue if you can, but double tongue if it's too fast for single tonguing.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Do whatever gives you the best sound and articulation. Some people actually use a K tongue more than the T/D.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Forte User

I practice slurs, single tonguing, K-tonguing, double and triple tonguing regularly, challenging myself to mix it up in awkward phrases so that during a performance I can do what VetPscychWars suggested: Do what gets the best results. If you give equal time to all forms and nuances of articulation, you'll be proficient at whatever is asked of you.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

The consummate trumpeter needs it all. There are no "rules", what counts is what comes out of the front. It is useful to have a large overlapping area where you can choose for best effect/lowest effort. My students need double tonguing starting at quarter=100 and single tonguing up to quarter=144. Then no questions are asked, we simply listen.
    J. Jericho likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information