Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sleep Apnea and playing the trumpet in the General forums; Originally Posted by Reedman1 Personally, I found the nasal pillow mask much more comfortable. I've been using CPAPs for a ...
    Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Re: Sleep Apnea and playing the trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Reedman1 View Post
    Personally, I found the nasal pillow mask much more comfortable.
    I've been using CPAPs for a long time. Never got along really well with the mask. The nose pillows are much more comfortable and seal better, as well.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Pianissimo User
    Rochester, NY

Several thoughts:

1. I know several people who like the nasal pillows, but my experience wasn't good. I found that if there was any side pressure at all, the holes in the nasal pillow didn't line up with my nostrils, restricting air flow. So, at the end of my exhale, although there was enough air pressure to prevent the apnea, I couldn't breath, so I was gasping for air. The sleep apnea device was killing my sleep. (You know the old joke: the operation was a success but the patient died.) I went back to my trusty ResMed Mirage Activa.
    2. Regarding sinus infections, I think the previous comments about living in humid condition, with potential moldiness and who knows what else, might be accurate. Also, don't disregard allergies. I had pneumonia in 2006. I haven't breathed the same since. In 2010, I came down with a bronchial thing that had me coughing and hacking for a couple months. My doctor prescribed the usual antibiotics and an inhaler. I still struggled. My doctor couldn't decide whether I had chronic asthma or early COPD. Then, I went to the Outer Banks for a week. Breathing the sea air, with no allergens, my lungs cleared up INSTANTLY. No inhaler or allergy meds all week. I felt better than I had in years. On the way home, the further north we got, the more congested I became. When we hit Sinus Valley (the southern tier of western NY), my lungs could really feel it. Luckily, the bronchial infection had completely cleared up and did not re-occur.
    3. CPAP is a wonderful invention our parents didn't have. Find the mask that works best for you and use it. Every night. Period.

Bach 72*
    Bach 43*
    Kanstul 1525

One would think that the simple geometry of getting air ducts to line up with the nostrils shouldn't bee that tough. Unfortunately for many, getting an interface to the nose is as hard as finding a mouthpiece for the trumpet. I still use the Comfortlite 2 and still have the same bitch about the hose connect at the top only rotating in one plane. I will do something about that one day. I clean it with a small ultrasound unit. That keeps the infections/irritations on the nose down.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Sleep Apnea patients are unable to breathe momentarily. When considering the alternative without C-pap or other device used under a pulmonologist's care ... need I say more.

Those among TM that know me well, also know I'm still living on borrowed time with many ailments. Once upon a time, I was on the edge of sleep apnea but was entered into a program of proper breathing exercises that is expressly as many times as I can inhale as much air through my nose and forcibly blow the exhalation out through my lips. It's relatively easy to discern others that do this ... their shoulders lift somewhat when they inhale and the lips are only open alternately, but then only slightly when they exhale. Ain't it nice to have pro-active usage of this exhalation when we play/practice our brass instruments? My personal benefit: my wife sleeps closer to me at night, albeit I do now sleep with a cannula in my nose supplying O2 from a concentrator.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information