Trumpet Discussion Discuss Slide tuning in the General forums; Ok, question for all you super seasoned players out there. This is a question about 1rst and 3rd tuning. We ...
    Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Slide tuning

Ok, question for all you super seasoned players out there.

This is a question about 1rst and 3rd tuning. We will use C# as an example. As I found out yesterday you have to kick the 3rd slide out about 2 inches to get that puppy tuned. Here is the question.

When you pull the slide back in, does the 3rd valve still have to be down?

I was always told if you are kicking a slide out, or pulling it back in the valve has to be down. If not, you could mess up the valve casing.

Is that the case?
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Ithaca NY

Re: Slide tuning

Pulling the slide in against the compression of the air inside it makes it more difficult. I doubt it could do any damage; there isn't enough pressure created to hurt the metal components.

Some horns have vented valves so the air in the slide can escape with the valve up. On my Olds Recording, if I leave the trigger pulled after the valve is up the slide will stay out until the valve goes down again (or if I push on the trigger).

It won't damage the valve casing.

I don't think that it could mess up the valve casing, but I may be wrong. At any rate the third valve still needs to be down when you kick the slide back in. Maybe the compression of your horn is messed up a bit because if it was perfect you would have a hard time getting the third slide back in or out without the valve down. If you kicked out the slide while you had the third valve down and then tried to pull it back in without the valve still down, it would not want to go back in and you would feel it compressing the extra air. If you don't, maybe you have a slide leak and need to get it checked. My way of testing it would be to pull out the third slide without the valve down. Then let go. It should suck itself back in if it is airtight. Hope this helps, HSO

Kinda of like a manual transmisison: press the third valve while extending the slide breaks that slight vacuum created and puts the slide out where you want it. I personally don't worry about pulling the slide back in, if you pull in in after you've let off the third valve, the slight pressure buildup will slowly bleed off, and I don't any difference in performance.

Don't worry about damaging the third valve casing, to do that you'd need a psi in the hundreds.

I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

when playing, you seldom have the time to move the slide in any particular "optimum" way.
    You will not physically damage anything. There are currently experiments in ventilating the valve slide when the respective valve is not depressed. This has been done for a while on rotary valved trumpets.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information