Trumpet Discussion Discuss Slightly off-topic: Did someone in AZ need a LaserDisc copied? in the General forums; ... or did I make that up? Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place - seemed the ...

Question Slightly off-topic: Did someone in AZ need a LaserDisc copied?

... or did I make that up?

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place - seemed the most logical and highly visible location.

I seem to recall (in the course of reading the bazillions of posts over the past year's lurking), reading a pseudo-hijacked thread where someone had a killer concert on laserdisc that they wished to get transferred to another format, and I'm thinking it was someone in the metro Phoenix area... which is why it stuck in my mind.

I believe that Manny L may have been involved in the discussion, and possibly Derek R... but that, too, may have been part of the hallucination (hello Manny and Derek - we haven't met officially yet, so don't take this personally if it wasn't you guys)

Anyway. repeated searches over the past hour turn up no results so I thought it best to just ask.

If I didn't dream it, speak up and let me know if you still need that video transferred - I'm in the far East Valley: Apache Junction - about a block from Superstition Mountain.

Got the studio almost ready for recording (real tape, too: 1" Tascam 16track if anyone in the area is interested in laying down some serious tracks sometime) and have just unpacked my old LaserDisc player. Still gotta test it for functionality, but it worked when I packed it up, so in theory it should still rock, in which case I can dump it to VHS at least - and probably to DVD eventually if I can get the stoopid computer to cooperate.

Note: My usual fee for such services is a cool million dollars, but I'm highly negotiable!

Last edited by SessionCat; 10-16-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Tempe, Arizona

Back in Oct. 2005 I responded to a post called Monettes and Chicago Symphony. I mentioned, in passing, that my LaserDisk player had been broken for years, which was very frustrating because the recording of Pictures at an Exhibition on the LD that I referred to in the post was one of my favorites.

I have wondered if someone had the capability to transfer some of the old LDs that I have in my collection to the newer DVD format. To actually see this post, literally directed to me a year after I casually mentioned that my player was broken absolutely ROCKS!!!

I have several LDs that I would love to have transferred to DVD. If you don’t currently have the capability to do this, but plan on being able to in the future, I’ll wait. I think DVD would be best for me (we’re getting ready to phase out our video player).

Send me a PM or email and we can discuss the specifics!

Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Glad to know I didn't just make it all up. Hooray brain!

I currently have a PC-based system that can transfer incoming audio and video and put it to DVD, but I haven't used it in a couple of years. Everything has been in storage for a while and the video portion apparently needs a bit of fine-tuning to make it reliable.
    I've made a few transfers that came out perfect - flawless - followed by 2 separate attempts that had random sections of video black in a few places... just enough to be annoying and just plain *wrong*... at which point it went to storage.

I am attempting to get the problem resolved using the computer-based burner because I like theoretically having the option to index and create chapters and tweak things a bit, but in reality, for basic disc dubbing the best scenario may be as simple as an investment in an inexpensive standalone DVD burner to make it happen reliably for limited runs. Maybe it's time to make a FRY's run.

I'll get with you offline and we can discuss the details in greater, ummm... detail!

Thanks for the quick response, Derek - we now return you to the arts:

Thread Information