Trumpet Discussion Discuss Slotting and silver replate in the General forums; Two questions: 1) What is meant by slotting? I hear comments like "horn slots well." What does it mean? 2) ...

Slotting and silver replate

Two questions:

1) What is meant by slotting? I hear comments like "horn slots well." What does it mean?

2) Many used horns show silverplate wear in just a couple of spots (typical handling spots). Has anyone come up with a way to repair (i.e. replate) these small areas-typically less than an inch without having to send the horn off for a complete replating overhaul? (Seems like one could make a fortune doing this).

1946 Olds Super
    1962 Olds SUper
    1967 Bach Strad
    1970 Bach Strad

Re: Slotting and silver replate

Some places can do spot plating with a brush plating setup. Results may not look as nice as a full replate though.
    If you want the protect the brass under the plating, get a bit of clear nail polish and apply it on the worn areas for a decent amount of protection.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Slotting is a very misunderstood phenomena with the trumpet.

Generally it is the "feeling" that each note on the horn "locks in" and provides security from cracking.

What is really happening is MUCH different. It is a combination of the efficiency of the instrument and the ability of the player to hear themselves. If you are into physics, slotting is the "Q" of the resonance. The more resonant each note is, the more secure that we play. Resonance comes with proper horn design and proper playing techniques (breath support and body use)!!!

It is only a psychological issue for most players as they have no frame of reference for comparison.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

Slotting is what we used to call centering, if a note is played with a solid centered core [tone] it will carry farther and be easier to play, like a lot of terms we use now,they are just different names used for the same thing, someone will write a book or a trumpet manufacturer will come up with a catchy name for something and it catches on .

Thread Information